Home 
Home Search search Menu menu Not logged in - Login | Register
> Jensen Healey & Jensen GT Tech > Electrical & Instruments > Toyota 5 Speed electronic speedometer conversion details

Moderated by: Greg Fletcher
New Topic Reply Printer Friendly
Toyota 5 Speed electronic speedometer conversion details  Rating:  Rating
AuthorPost
 Posted: 09-20-2008 01:01 am
  PM Quote Reply
1st Post
jgreen

Having been thrilled with my autometer temperature gauge, I decided to look into the availability of an autometer electronic speedometer gauge for my toyota 5 speed conversion transmission.  Unfortunatley my original speedometer cable which came with my transmission conversion kit from conversion components broke early on and sourcing a replacement was ridiculously expensive. I have also ended up rebuilding my speedometer once from the broken cable damage and really wanted to see if a better fix existed. I've been using my GPS as my speedometer for years because I was basically to lazy to look into other less expensive options.

A company called "speedometer service center" - 1-414-463-6660 makes a custom conversion adapter to the W series ( 55-58) which screws into the old mechanical speedometer cable connection and provides a electronic feed to any autometer electronic speedometer. No more cable and it's inherent inaccuracies from tire size, connections etc.

The cost of the Electronic conversion adapter for the w series transmission was $95.00 FWIW department

cheers

john

Back To Top PM Quote Reply  

Posted: 09-22-2008 11:32 am
  PM Quote Reply
2nd Post
Harkes

sounds very interesting. Could one easily upgrade the stock mechanical speedometer to a electronic speedometer or does it require an after market new speedometer?

thx
erik

Posted: 09-22-2008 01:21 pm
  PM Quote Reply
3rd Post
jgreen

Good Question,

I am not sure, but I have never found anyone to do it. The tachometer can be converted, but I have not heard of anyone doing a conversion for a smith's speedometer. According to the tech support line ANY autometer electronic gauge will work with the adapter.

This may be the only cost viable option for me as a new cable is over 300.00 including shipping. That price was quoted a year ago when conversion components was  answering emails.  A rebuilt speedometer is another 125.00 or so. The total cost is 425.00 and that is really hypothetical as Conversion Components may be out of  business. I suppose a speedo shop may be able to rebuild the cable, but the electronic option is a neat alternative.

I looked at the options and the electronic adapter is 95.00 plus a electronic speedometer is about 175.00, so it is much cheaper.

Last edited on 09-22-2008 01:22 pm by jgreen

Posted: 09-22-2008 02:13 pm
  PM Quote Reply
4th Post
Harkes

i had my tachometer converted to electronic to accept the MSD6A. I will check with the shop that did it if they can convert the smiths speedometer as well to electronic.

ridiculous price for the mechanical cable by Conversion Components!
since i have done the toyota gbox conversion as well i also sourced some parts including the mechanical cable from Conversion Components, but i can't remember what i paid for it. I'll check my older emails.
good luck
erik

Posted: 09-23-2008 01:46 am
  PM Quote Reply
5th Post
Jim Ketcham

I bought a speedo cable on ebay for $5 and it works fine.  I believe it was for an older Toyota Corolla.  I also believe the Toyota Land Cruiser cable works as well.  Search on Ebay under Toyota speedometer cable.  The amazing part was that it plugs perfectly into the back of the JH speedometer.

Jim

Posted: 09-23-2008 12:03 pm
  PM Quote Reply
6th Post
Jensenman

I used a 86 RX7 speedo cable for my setup, I had to swap the speedo end sleeve from the original cable to the RX7 piece. I also had to make an eccentric sleeve for my speedo drive on the trans to allow the use of a 30 tooth speedo gear.

A buddy of mine just finished an LS1 swap into a 1990 RX7. The GM tranny has an electronic speedo sender and the RX7 has a cable driven unit. He sourced an adapter which uses the electronic signal to drive a small electric motor which then spins the speedometer through a cable.

http://www.hawksthirdgenparts.com/electronictomechanicalspeedometerbox.aspx

Last edited on 09-23-2008 12:07 pm by Jensenman

Current time is 06:48 pm  
> Jensen Healey & Jensen GT Tech > Electrical & Instruments > Toyota 5 Speed electronic speedometer conversion details Top

UltraBB 1.172 Copyright © 2007-2011 Data 1 Systems