Moderated by: Greg Fletcher
New Topic Reply Printer Friendly
SU fuel pump  Rating:  Rating
AuthorPost
 Posted: 09-19-2008 03:15 am
  PM Quote Reply
1st Post
mnunes22

In my crazy attempt to complete #14592 for this weekends West Coast Nationals, I had a local British car shop install a new SU fuel pump and filter.  Now my idle is about 1100 RPM. Any addvice on best way to lower my RPM at idle?

Any help greatly appreciated!
Thanks, Bill

Back To Top PM Quote Reply  

Posted: 09-19-2008 10:56 am
  PM Quote Reply
2nd Post
Brett Gibson JH5 20497

Try the idle adjust screw on the carb, left side of front Stromberg controls both.

Posted: 09-20-2008 12:53 am
  PM Quote Reply
3rd Post
mnunes22

Thanks for the info. Brett.  I will adjust the idle for this weekend. I put some more miles on the car today and had mixed results. The performance seemed to be less and after stopping for a long train, the car emitted quite a bit of smoke in first and second gear. The exhaust smells of fuel at idle so I'm thinking now it might be a increased fuel pressure problem causing a rich condition. I currently don't have a means of checking fuel pressure .Would 2.5-3.5 lbs. be in the ballpark for setting my pressure? Would increased pressure cause damage to my strombergs? Is there a specific brand/type of fuel pressure regulator I should look for?

Many Thanks, Bill

Posted: 09-22-2008 02:50 am
  PM Quote Reply
4th Post
Jensen Healey
Super Moderator

Bill, it was great to meet you at the West Coast Nationals! Welcome to the group. Hope to see you again soon at another British Car function.

Kurt Housh

JH 13148

Posted: 09-23-2008 01:00 am
  PM Quote Reply
5th Post
mnunes22

Kurt, it was great meeting and talking with you. Your car and engine look great. I especially liked your story about acquiring your Dellorto's! Next time I'm up in Mendocino, I'll check my parts car for those stainless door trim pieces you mentioned. Next British car show sounds geat.  Keep me posted!                 

Bill

Current time is 09:08 am  
> Jensen Healey & Jensen GT Tech > Fuel Stuff > SU fuel pump Top

UltraBB 1.172 Copyright © 2007-2011 Data 1 Systems