Moderated by: Greg Fletcher
New Topic Reply Printer Friendly
ZDDP additives  Rating:  Rating
AuthorPost
 Posted: 09-06-2008 04:31 pm
  PM Quote Reply
1st Post
rossjfox

Anybody have experience with the ZDDP additives "ZDDPlus" or "Cam-Shield"??

I've read about lower ZDDP in modern energy conserving oils not being a good thing for older cars.  Some recommendations have been made on which oils are the best of what we have to choose from.  But not too much on the quality and/or effectiveness of these additives. 

Do they work?  Is one better than the other in the case of the Jensen Healey??

Thanks

Ross

Back To Top PM Quote Reply  

Posted: 09-07-2008 10:38 pm
  PM Quote Reply
2nd Post
dwalls1

At the risk of sounding like a bitter old curmudgeon, I will say that all additives going back through slick 50, and teflon to STP and beyond are a waste of money. They are promoted by the best snake oil salesmen money can buy, to gullible saps usually spending some one elses money not their own. They all have scores of statistics from large fleet users, usually government bureacracies and prestadigess demonstrations to support wild claims of miraculous results for everything from mileage to engine wear. Nearly all the additives they promote are already in every quart of oil you buy. I apologize if I've offended any one with my rant, but that's the way I see it from over 40 years of listening and observing in garages and shops. Put the additives in the same folder with the 100 mpg carburetor that is suppressed by the oil companies and the 8 outer electrode Fire Injector spark plugs. Y'all have good one, Dale

Posted: 09-08-2008 05:20 am
  PM Quote Reply
3rd Post
subwoofer

ZDDP is in fact being removed from the engine oils, and there has been a corresponing increase in camshaft failures since the last drop in levels. That would put ZDDP in the same category as lead replacement additives.

Apparently, it is most critical when running in a freshly built engine, where camshaft failures have been reported after a few hundred miles. Has anyone heard of any problems with camshaft failures on the 900-series engines?

--

Joachim

Posted: 09-08-2008 02:26 pm
  PM Quote Reply
4th Post
Jensen Healey
Super Moderator

Formulating motor oil should be left to chemists. This article explains the dangers of zddp additives: http://www.lnengineering.com/oil.html#Z13

There are many oils still on the market with the proper levels of zddp for out cars. The easiest path is to run racing, diesel or motorcycle oil.

Breaking in a new cam is another matter.

Kurt

Posted: 09-08-2008 04:08 pm
  PM Quote Reply
5th Post
subwoofer

Thanks Kurt!

That link was very helpful. All the writings I have seen on the matter of ZDDP and other oil additives have been from the American market, and no mention of the situation in Europe.

Now I know what letter combinations to look for, since brand names are less than helpful. (Mobil1 oils in Europe are probably not the same formulation as the American counterparts.)

--

Joachim

Posted: 09-08-2008 08:13 pm
  PM Quote Reply
6th Post
rossjfox

Thanks all!  This at least confirms the need for appropriate ZDDP in our cars.

Apparently, Brad Penn makes a partially synthetic 20w50 racing oil with high levels of ZDDP.  This might be good for our cars, but some have reported high rates of leaking oil with synthetics.  Anyone tried this?  Anybody know of a conventional racing oil with the appropiate levels of ZDDP?

Of course, none of this discounts the possiblity that the additives will do the job mixed with conventional motor oil.  Though I'd agree that mixing it yourself may be a bit of a shot in the dark.

Ross

Posted: 09-28-2008 08:49 pm
  PM Quote Reply
7th Post
pbahr

When YELODOG engine was being run-in, I used Valvoline 40wt.  After 500 or so miles, I switched to Valvoline VR-1 20W-50 Racing Oil.  The VR-1 oil container states that it contains ZDDP.  Not sure all racing oils contain ZDDP.

If you want synthentic (and I see no reason to use it), Castrol, in February 2008, released a new formula Syntec in 20W50 which is labeled "For Classic Cars" and contains the necessary amount of ZDDP.

In addition, oils intended for diesel engines (which don’t have catalytic converters and require ZDDP to minimize gudgeon-pin wear) in the same weights, such as Castrol Syntec Blend Truck 15W-40, Mobil Delvac, or Shell Rotella are also recommended.  I used Rotella in a recent rebuild of a Dodge Neon DOHC engine, and after 700 miles changed to Valvoline synthetic - this engine does not require ZDDP.

My recommendation is thus:
  • New engine run-in - Shell Rotella or similiar diesel oil.
  • After run-in - Valvoline VR-1, or continue to use Rotella.
  • Don't use synthetic oils - the 907 was not designed for it.
  • Don't screw around with any additives - Dale is correct.
  • If you use oils other than those I've noted above, check the oil container or the manufacturers website to confirm that they contain ZDDP.
Pete

Posted: 09-29-2008 01:15 am
  PM Quote Reply
8th Post
rossjfox

Thanks Pete,

That sounds like helpful, sound advice!!

Ross

Current time is 02:20 pm  
> Jensen Healey & Jensen GT Tech > Engine & Transmission > ZDDP additives Top

UltraBB 1.172 Copyright © 2007-2011 Data 1 Systems