Home 
Home Search search Menu menu Not logged in - Login | Register
> Jensen Healey & Jensen GT Tech > Body & interior stuff > Measure twice, glue once - lesson learned on door panels

Moderated by: Greg Fletcher
New Topic Reply Printer Friendly
Measure twice, glue once - lesson learned on door panels  Rate Topic 
AuthorPost
 Posted: 08-27-2008 12:20 am
  PM Quote Reply
1st Post
JodyFKerr

Every once in a while I start to believe that I know what I'm doing, and that's inevitably when I screw up in the most colossal fashion.

I just finished up redoing my door panels and they look beautiful. I went to install them in the car today only to learn something that I should have done at the beginning and neglected to do. And damn it, I should know better.

So, here's my caveat to folks looking to recover their door panels... There is a piece of bent aluminum that glues to the top of the door panel. It's used to hook the top of the panel over the top edge of the door. *Before* you glue this piece to your door panel make sure that you test fit it on the door first! I glued mine 1/4" off and it means that the door panel will not fit. Worst of all, I can't cleanly modify what I've made, so it's a matter of starting over from scratch.

At least the parts weren't expensive, but man, there was at least 40 hours in planning, thinking, cutting, gluing and doing on this. And it hurts to go back to scratch.

Jody

Back To Top PM Quote Reply  

Posted: 08-27-2008 01:57 am
  PM Quote Reply
2nd Post
John Finch

Jody, I am sure a lot of us relate to your "oversight". I know I do. Been There Done That on several occasions!

Thanks for the update.

Posted: 08-27-2008 03:52 am
  PM Quote Reply
3rd Post
dwalls1

Hang in there Jody! Like John said we've all BTDT.

Posted: 08-28-2008 11:24 am
  PM Quote Reply
4th Post
Jay

I'm just now in the process of building new door panels myself. I will heed your warning. I plan to test fit the bare board with the metal attached before I apply the covering.

On this subject:

I do not have one of the inside lock knobs (small gray plastic slider). Does anyone have any suggestion of a suitable replacement for the manual lock slider knob and/or the entire knob and it's surround assembly. I know that I could just eliminate it, but I would rather have the inside lock option to keep things somewhat original. I was thinking of fabricating something out of wood or plastic. Any sugggestions would be most welcome.

Jay

Posted: 08-28-2008 01:58 pm
  PM Quote Reply
5th Post
JodyFKerr

The lock slider itself is available from Delta motorsports.

As to the trim ring (escutcheon) and retaining plate (escutcheon plate) are NLA and can be hard to find.

Jody

Posted: 08-28-2008 03:28 pm
  PM Quote Reply
6th Post
Mitch Ware

I didn't even bother putting the interior door locks on my doors when I redid them. I can't think of a time when I would ever use them.

Mitch Ware - #19670

Attachment: Seat 7 (Small).JPG (Downloaded 76 times)

Posted: 08-28-2008 06:57 pm
  PM Quote Reply
7th Post
dwalls1

Hey Mitch, where did you get the lovely tan top cover? Was it custom made, or off the shelf? Once had a fellow tell me the top (hood) cover was part of the interior and should match it.

Posted: 08-29-2008 11:56 am
  PM Quote Reply
8th Post
Mitch Ware

I got that from DMS. It is closer in color to the original interior than it is to the tan interior I put in the car. But it is close enough that it looks right.

Mitch Ware - #19670

Posted: 02-19-2009 03:04 pm
  PM Quote Reply
9th Post
JodyFKerr

So, I finally got my doors done a while back. They look great and only took two tries. ;)

I wrote up a how to article.

http://www.theymightberacing.com/Projects/FrameOff/JH74G/DoorPanelRestoration.aspx

Current time is 06:40 pm  
> Jensen Healey & Jensen GT Tech > Body & interior stuff > Measure twice, glue once - lesson learned on door panels Top

UltraBB 1.172 Copyright © 2007-2011 Data 1 Systems