Moderated by: Greg Fletcher
New Topic Reply Printer Friendly
Jensen Healey Disasters  Rating:  Rating
AuthorPost
 Posted: 08-16-2008 03:19 pm
  PM Quote Reply
1st Post
John Kimbrough

Just when everything was going great for our new little Pacific Northwest JH Club, disaster struck.  Sadly, on Monday I was t-boned on the passenger side by a Ford F-350 truck that ran a red light at 35-40 mph.  The pictures will show you that the car was totaled.  Besides the apparent damage, the frame was bent to the extent that all leaded seams separated, the trunk lid was jammed at the left side and the left door was all out of alignment.  The engine still ran, however.

I am going to be alright.  Had my cell phone in my right pants pocket and it was trapped between me and the console so the impace severely bruised my right thigh (and broke the screen on my cell phone).  Also the console lid struck me in the right ribs causing some bruising.  Evidently I did a full spin plus 90 degrees as a result of the impact.  The hat I was wearing was torn off my head and ended up in the middle of the street, 50 feet from where the car finally stopped.  The sunglasses I was wearing I found in the passenger seat next to the door. 

Ironically, on Sunday, the day before the accident, we were taking pictures of my JH alongside my brother-in-laws 1996 Corvette Grand Sport. 

Am working with Hagerty insurance right now on the details.  Not really sure what I will do.  May be a good parts car available real soon if anyone is interested.  Can provide more details if requested.  

Photos are posted on the JH Picture Gallery. 

John and Mimi Kimbrough
Vancouver, WA 

Back To Top PM Quote Reply  

Posted: 08-16-2008 03:45 pm
  PM Quote Reply
2nd Post
JodyFKerr

John,

That's Terrible!!!! The important thing it that you're ok and will live to drive another day. :) Those pictures look pretty bad, that must have been a really scary accident.

Jody

Posted: 08-16-2008 04:27 pm
  PM Quote Reply
3rd Post
Joel

For some reason I couldn't find the fotos.  Glad you are ok!  Good thing you didn't have a passenger! 

Posted: 08-16-2008 05:53 pm
  PM Quote Reply
4th Post
Gary Martin JH 15371

The photos are under Jensens of Washington, John and Mimi Kimbrough. Here is a link to the photo gallery.

http://jhppg.com/gallery/album169

I'm one of the NW Jensen owners and I have met John and Mimi several times. I actually drove his car a few months ago since I had never driven a JH yet (long story). John bought his car new and was in pristine condition until last Monday. John was very lucky to escape serious injury.  I'm sure we all wish him well and hope he gets another JH soon.

Gary

Last edited on 08-16-2008 06:00 pm by Gary Martin JH 15371

Posted: 08-16-2008 08:14 pm
  PM Quote Reply
5th Post
dwalls1

I too am glad for things not being worse, and hope you will consider repairing this one or restoring another with what can be salvaged fom this one. Good Luck, Dale

Posted: 08-17-2008 01:01 am
  PM Quote Reply
6th Post
Joel

damn.  very glad you are ok.

Posted: 08-17-2008 06:51 pm
  PM Quote Reply
7th Post
John Finch

John glad you are ok.

Posted: 08-23-2008 04:41 pm
  PM Quote Reply
8th Post
John Kimbrough

Just wanted to let all know that Gary Martin has offered to buy 15375 from me.  I will get it back at salvage value, and sell it to him.  I don't have the heart (or the room)  to restore it or part it out.  Gary will decide what to do with it.

Best regards to all, John 

Posted: 09-05-2008 12:54 pm
  PM Quote Reply
9th Post
CapKrk

You are in our prayers Uncle John. And I am sorry about your loss. Between us it looks like we have two decent drivetrains and no sheet metal. Time to build a couple Locost 7's with all the bits. lol

Will talk to you soon.

Jim

Posted: 09-06-2008 07:39 pm
  PM Quote Reply
10th Post
Gary Martin JH 15371

I have 15375 at home in my garage and have been looking it over. The frame is tweaked a bit, while the back sits level the front of the car is higher on the right front. The rocker panel and floor boards look fine however. The dash board is slightly accordioned so there could be some hidden damage there. It looks like if it was put on a frame rack it could be pulled back into alignment. Has anyone succesfully straightened a JH frame? I have not given up hope on it yet. It might live again.  

Gary

Posted: 09-07-2008 01:19 am
  PM Quote Reply
11th Post
Art DeKneef

I did to the one I am rebuilding now. When the gauges were first put on the car you could see that everything wasn't aligned. I suspected as much as after I got the car apart and stripped down to bare metal you could see damage to the driver's front and also the passenger rear.

They straighten the shell out and checked the measurements based on what is in the shop manual.

Art

Current time is 11:20 pm  
> Jensen Healey & Jensen GT Tech > Miscellaneous > Jensen Healey Disasters Top

UltraBB 1.172 Copyright © 2007-2011 Data 1 Systems