Moderated by: Greg Fletcher
New Topic Reply Printer Friendly
Front wheel bearing adjustment  Rate Topic 
AuthorPost
 Posted: 07-28-2008 09:52 pm
  PM Quote Reply
1st Post
subwoofer

Not quite sure if this really belongs in "Brakes", but what the heck.

After changing brake discs, I can't seem to get the front left wheel right again. Tried adjusting the wheel bearing several times, after driving a short distance slack returns, brakes shake and it pulls to the left.

Could it be that the bearing doesn't seat properly, is the inner bearing shot, or do I have to do any tricks to it? Remember, I'm a wheel bearing newbie... The shop manual doesn't seem to mention any special procedure.

I've been told (by knowledgeable friends, at least I belive them to be) that one way of getting the bearings right is to tighten the nut tight, then release and retighten slowly until slack is gone. What confuses me, is that the nut seems to go further in if I repeat the procedure - this leads me to believe that the problem is either that I haven't seated the bearing properly or that it is hot to pieces.

Waddayathink?

--
Joachim, #18711 - now with license plates (!)

Back To Top PM Quote Reply  

Posted: 07-29-2008 12:29 am
  PM Quote Reply
2nd Post
JHRV8

Hi! I think you are going to have to disassemble the hub/berings and see what is going on with the inner bearing-race.  Could be several things including inner bearing failure, lack of grease, etc,etc. Get your friend to attend the autopsy and help with the diagnosis.(once an MD always an MD.) Regards, Bob.

Posted: 07-29-2008 10:28 am
  PM Quote Reply
3rd Post
Brett Gibson JH5 20497

Bob's right could be a bunch of stuff, but lets assume things are OK and that it's just not reinstalled correctly. take the rotor bearing assembly off (hub), make sure the rear bearing and seal look OK and are in the center of the whole and the bearing has lots of clean grease and you have extra in the hub, place the assembly over the stub shaft and make sure you push back and get the rear bearing seated on the collar at the back of the stub shaft, move it untill your sure it is home, while holding it there place the outer bearing / washer and nut on, and tighten up. Follow your buddies advice here with how to set it. But make sure once your wheel is on your not able to feel any play if you grab the outer edges of the wheel and jiggle/ wiggle :->, if you do go back and tighten a bit more till it's gone. dont over tighten though.

Brett  

Posted: 02-22-2009 08:30 pm
  PM Quote Reply
4th Post
subwoofer

Bumping an old thread here!

During dismantling for cleanup, I may have found the cause of the problem. It looks like the outer race of the inner bearing is sliding into the hub, but I haven't determined the cause of this yet. I guess it means it's time for a new hub?

--
Joachim

Posted: 02-24-2009 02:32 pm
  PM Quote Reply
5th Post
Brett Gibson JH5 20497

The outer race should be a interference fit in the hub, there by not allowing it to move, depending on how worn the hub is due to the race moving yes you may need a new one, but I would first try getting a center punch and hammering a few dimples into the hubs side, and retry fitting the race, hopefully it will be enough to hold it secure.

Good luck Brett

Posted: 02-24-2009 04:03 pm
  PM Quote Reply
6th Post
subwoofer

Is it supposed to be a proper press fit, or should there be some axial restraint? I mean, the inner races are restrained axially by the spindle and the washer/nut, sure there should be some ridge, bevel or something to restrain the outer race too?

I guess I'll find out once I start cleaning up the hub, for now I've only discovered that the race has sunk in towards the middle of the hub.

--
Joachim

Posted: 02-24-2009 09:23 pm
  PM Quote Reply
7th Post
Brett Gibson JH5 20497

The outer race, or Cup, should be stationary in the hub, there are no bevels or ridges, the cup just press fits in until it is seated and should not move.  If it moves as I said just knock afew dimples in the seating surface, it's possible to use a vice to press the cup in as long as you dont press against the surface the roller bearings run on. The inner race of the roller bearings on the shaft spindle should also be some what of a interferance fit as well, they should not turn on the spindle, again a couple of dimples on the spindle should hold them in place as well.

Brett

Current time is 08:25 am  
> Jensen Healey & Jensen GT Tech > Suspension > Front wheel bearing adjustment Top

UltraBB 1.172 Copyright © 2007-2011 Data 1 Systems