New Topic Reply Printer Friendly
Electrical  Rating:  Rating
AuthorPost
 Posted: 04-29-2005 02:48 pm
  PM Quote Reply
1st Post
J. P. Hering

Folks,

my turn signals have stopped functioning, and before I begin yanking wires, I thought it prudent to ask wisdom from the sages.  The emergency flashers work just fine.  Any thoughts?  Thanks in advance, James Hering, JH 20131, JH 20128 (project)

Back To Top PM Quote Reply  

Posted: 04-29-2005 05:52 pm
  PM Quote Reply
2nd Post
kneff

I have exactly the opposite problem. My turn signals work fine, but the emergency flashers don't work. I'm assuming that I have a bad relay.

Posted: 04-29-2005 11:24 pm
  PM Quote Reply
3rd Post
Mark Rosenbaum

While the turn signals and emergency flashers use separate flashers, everything goes through the Hazard switch.  You can check out the various bits by unplugging the connector at the back of the Hazard switch and jumpering the sockets in the connector using short lengths of solid 12 gauge household wire, metal coathanger with the varnish removed, or whatever else is handy.  In TURN mode, the 2 pins at one end of the Hazard switch are connected together and the 4 pins at the other end are all unconnected.  In HAZARD mode, the 2 pins are unconnected while the 4 pins are all connected together.

If something does not work normally, further testing is needed.  John Kimbrough has provided an assortment of very neat wiring diagrams in the Club Garage, and these will greatly simplify your troubleshooting.  But if everything works fine, the Hazard switch is at fault. 

The Hazard switch doesn't get exercised all that often, and over time debris and corrosion will build up inside the switch and prevent it from working.  The first thing to try is to cycle the switch back and forth about 10 times and see if that helps.  If so, great, you're back in business until the next time the problem occurs -- which could be minutes, or decades.

If cycling the Hazard switch doesn't help, remove the switch from the car, place it in a clear plastic bag, and carefully disassemble it.  The bag is to catch any small parts that leap out during the disassembly.  If the switch disintegrates during disassembly, consider it clear proof that the Brits do not understand plastics.  Otherwise, you will most likely see a horrendous glob of greenish crud inside the switch.  This is the debris and corrosion mentioned above.  Remove this crud and rescue any switch parts concealed inside.  Burnish the electrical contacts, clean the entire switch with electrical contact cleaner or brake cleaner (but NOT carburetor cleaner!), apply a thin coating of dielectric grease to the metal bits if you have some handy, then reassemble and test.

If the switch works as indicated in my first paragraph, reinstall it.  But if it does not, and if you've put it together correctly, it is defunct.  Originals using the pin contacts that fit the wiring harness connector are generally unavailable.  The replacements have male blade connectors, and using these requires modifying the wiring harness by cutting off the switch connector and soldering or crimping half a dozen female blade connectors in place.

Once you've gotten the Hazard switch working properly, you may want to consider the state of your Lights and heater Fan switches.

Last edited on 04-29-2005 11:24 pm by Mark Rosenbaum

Posted: 04-29-2005 11:46 pm
  PM Quote Reply
4th Post
Jensen Healey
Super Moderator

Test the flasher first by swapping them. Always test the simple stuff first!

Kurt

Posted: 05-02-2005 12:25 pm
  PM Quote Reply
5th Post
J. P. Hering

Thanks, gnetlemen, for your helpful replies.  I will get a move on with your suggestions, going from the simple to the more complex...all the best to you all, James

Current time is 01:00 pm  
> Jensen Healey & Jensen GT Tech > Electrical & Instruments > Electrical Top

UltraBB 1.172 Copyright © 2007-2011 Data 1 Systems