Moderated by: Greg Fletcher
New Topic Reply Printer Friendly
Instument Light Dimmer  Rate Topic 
AuthorPost
 Posted: 07-02-2008 09:16 pm
  PM Quote Reply
1st Post
LambandAndy

Does anyone know the impedence of the rheostat for the instrument lights.  Mine checks out at about 30 ohms but is very erratic.  Thinking of replacing it with one from Radio Shack.

Andy #15223

Back To Top PM Quote Reply  

Posted: 07-02-2008 10:43 pm
  PM Quote Reply
2nd Post
jgreen

Frank Schwartz did a study on this. he would have the exact numbers for sure. I believe an XJ6 dimmer is a better replacement as Frank has a way of modifying the switch so as to produce a better perfoming dimmer. The modified XJ6 dimmer ( i believe he wrote an article on how to do this) combined with the m1205 bulbs which delta sells, results in nifty results.

Posted: 07-04-2008 02:13 am
  PM Quote Reply
3rd Post
LambandAndy

Thanks Jgreen,

Frank, can you point me in the right direction?

Posted: 07-05-2008 03:04 am
  PM Quote Reply
4th Post
Frank Schwartz

Yes, indeed...you want a dimmer switch from an X type Jaguar   XJ 79-87 and XJS 82 - 91.
It is an exact fit and your old knob fits it too.  As it comes from the Jaguar and the dumb manufacturer, it will not quite go to full brightness.  I have an easy fix I can do on it...the unit will outlast you..and the car most likely.  Jaguar getss(this is real) 275 bucks for one new (shameless highway robbery) and I get them when I can find them at PullApart for a few bucks..
The bulbs you get from Delta (very inexpensive and the only, really the only ones that do the job,  and the results are startling...first ...the dimmer works, really works, and you don't have to have a flashlight to read the gauges any more at night.
If you do go to Pullapart in Atlanta..where I found a few last year...also look at MGs and the like and get one of those red pilot light reflectors..you know, they come green for turn signals and so on...and if you can find a red one, pull out the green one that supposedly illuminates the oil pressure gauge in your JH from the top and push in the red one...you will find it a great improvement as well.
More information..email me off this list...

Posted: 07-08-2008 02:25 am
  PM Quote Reply
5th Post
LambandAndy

Thanks Frank!

I'll start hunting for one.  I would still like to know the impedance of a good one though.

Andy

Posted: 07-09-2008 01:42 pm
  PM Quote Reply
6th Post
jgreen

Occasionally, they come up on EBAY.uk site for cheap money. The problem finding them is all the jaguar used parts suppliers KNOW what they cost new. They won't sell  one for less than $175.00, if they will take the time to quote you.  Pull-Apart has standard pricing for all vehicles so they sell them at a great price. It the best deal out there.

Search the Ebay Uk site and they pop up here and there for about $10.00

I am not sure how Frank modifies the dimmer, but it's akin to micro-surgery and really improves the performance of the dimmer. When combined with the special lightbulbs which delta sells, you actually have to TURN DOWN the dimmer as it can be TOO BRIGHT in some situations...... imagine that.

Last edited on 07-09-2008 01:43 pm by jgreen

Current time is 03:39 pm  
> Jensen Healey & Jensen GT Tech > Electrical & Instruments > Instument Light Dimmer Top

UltraBB 1.172 Copyright © 2007-2011 Data 1 Systems