Home 
Home Search search Menu menu Not logged in - Login | Register
> Jensen Healey & Jensen GT Tech > Electrical & Instruments > Short in Purple Wire "Ignition Off Wire Hot" Circuit

Moderated by: Greg Fletcher
New Topic Reply Printer Friendly
Short in Purple Wire "Ignition Off Wire Hot" Circuit  Rating:  Rating
AuthorPost
 Posted: 06-23-2008 11:53 am
  PM Quote Reply
1st Post
Lash Russell

Hello All,

I was so content that I had solved my ISBWM problems that I thought I'd tackle puting in a CD player in the JH.  Everything was going well, Greg's article titled "Install a Stereo in your JH" was a big help.  I was running a permanent hot lead from an extra "purple" terminal from the cigarette lighter.  Everything was circuit tested, purple hot with ignition off and on (for radio memory when car off) and white with blue tracer hot when ignition on only (for stereo power).

I must have inadvertantly shorted something because the complete "purple, always hot" circuit went out.  The car still starts, and the guages work etc but there is no power to this circuit such as to the door light, etc.

Long and short I guess, does anybody know if there is a fuse for this circuit?  I looked at the three fuses in the fuse box and they look fine.  Or perhaps there is an electrical component on this circuit that I may have fried.  Iny insight would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Lash Russell

Back To Top PM Quote Reply  

Posted: 06-23-2008 03:03 pm
  PM Quote Reply
2nd Post
Brett Gibson JH5 20497

Not sure about your car Lash, but I have another 3 fuses in the area of the coil on the fire wall, maybe it's a PO thing but who knows.

Brett

Posted: 06-23-2008 10:21 pm
  PM Quote Reply
3rd Post
Lash Russell

Thanks Brett,

I don't have anything like that, maybe because your car is a JH-5 or possibly a previous PO addition.  Mine is a '74 Mk II.  I know GT's come with a very large fuse box with several fuses in a row.

Lash

Posted: 06-24-2008 03:03 pm
  PM Quote Reply
4th Post
Bob McDonald

Hi Lash

The wiring diagram shows the purple wire comes from the fuse box and

goes to the 9 way connector by the steering column and then to the lighter.

If your fuse is o.k. then look at the connector for a bad connection.

Bob

Posted: 06-25-2008 12:14 pm
  PM Quote Reply
5th Post
Lash Russell

Thanks Bob,

I think cleaning out the fusebox and all the electrical connections is a good place to start, after all that was the solution to the failed ISBWM.  I'll let you know how it goes.

Lash

Posted: 06-25-2008 03:38 pm
  PM Quote Reply
6th Post
Joel

On my car the purple wire definately goes thru the fuse box.  The same fuse for the horn and brake lights. 

Why, you may ask, do I know this?  I had someone do some work on the car and when I got it back all those circuits were dead.  I spent HOURS trying to figure out what they did.  I took it back and they spent HOURS trying to figure out what they did.  Eventually we hot wired the brake lights so they would work.

When I was installing my radio.  Whilst (hey it's a British car) in the Lotus position (feet up on the seat and head under the dash) I traced back the purple wire as it's supposed to be a hot.  And, lo and behold, it was trapped under a nut that had been tighted with the wire in the way.  A beautiful dead short - almost impossible to find.

After a quick splice - no problem.  No more blown fuses. 

So, the purple wire goes to the same fuse line as the brakes and horn. 

Posted: 06-26-2008 12:50 pm
  PM Quote Reply
7th Post
Lash Russell

Thanks Joel,

The Lotus position, I can relate.  I dread working under the dash, my back hurts for days.  I'll follow the purple wire back as far as I need to, eventually I'll find what I expect to be a short.

Thanks again for the insight.  Lash

Posted: 06-26-2008 01:32 pm
  PM Quote Reply
8th Post
JodyFKerr

Lash,

i've found it helps the back quite a bit if you can take the seat out and lay some padding down. I use my pad that goes under my sleeping bag. I learned that one when I rewired the car.

Jody

Posted: 06-27-2008 11:40 am
  PM Quote Reply
9th Post
Lash Russell

Jody,

I like the sleeping bag idea, I can lay comfortably untill the chiropractor arrives.  Kidding aside, I think I'll do this as I have to take the seats out to clean them and under the seats anyway.  Thanks for the advice.

Lash

Current time is 08:30 am  
> Jensen Healey & Jensen GT Tech > Electrical & Instruments > Short in Purple Wire "Ignition Off Wire Hot" Circuit Top

UltraBB 1.172 Copyright © 2007-2011 Data 1 Systems