AuthorPost
barry.ashcraft

I'm looking to put in a new steering column into my 1974 Jensen
does anybody have any suggestions

pbahr

Why would you want to do that?

Pete

JHRV8

Indeed! Why would you want to replace the column?  There is very little room for a more robust column, and the stock piece is fine; just replace the bottom bushing(made my own from oilite bronze on the lathe) and the upper bushing(carved from teflon) and your good to go for the forseeable future.  I also used honda column switches, and modified the horn circut to work the center button, added a nice wheel and....done.  Much easier than adapting another column.      Regards: Bob

Dan (Florida)

I have my steering column out to replace the lower bushing only to find that the lower section of the steering rod itself has slid downward about an inch and is clear out of the bushing, causing play in the wheel.  I went ahead and fit a brass bushing while it was apart, but cannot figure out what holds the lower part of the steering shaft into the column, The column is collapsible in case of accident and the shaft is two piece telescoping inside of itself.  My lower shaft will pull right out of the column with no problem.  The shop manual shows nothing missing and barring any other discovery I will probably drill through both shafts and put in a cotter pin through both sections to hold the lower shaft in place. 

Also, during re-assembly, can the upper universal joint be fit to the colum/shaft with the column/shaft  in place or does it require one person to hold up the universal while another guides the shaft into the joint.  I can't wait to solve this one. any advice would be welcome.

Dan

Brett Gibson JH5 20497

Dan, its been awhile since  I redid mine, but if memory serve correct there should have been a small plastic pin that keeps the inner shaft connected to the outer, and I do mean small, I broke mine while messing with it but it turned out not to be an issue, I just reinstalled without and it has been good to go since, 3 plus years.

If you install something a bit more rigid, cotter pin, you might end up not allowing the column to colapse should there ever become a time when you need it to.

As for installing it, I had my column in place, and the lower universal lossened up to allow room to slip the upper over the column.

Brett

Judson Manning

Brett is correct in that the shaft is held together with shear-pins made from plastic, for safety sakes I would not retrofit a steel cotter-pin.  Bruce Madden in Atlanta somewhat specializes in rebuilding steering systems all the way from turn signals to replacing the rubberized knuckle with Bronze.

Dan (Florida)

Well thanks for the replies, I drilled and put in the smallest wire brad I could find.  I absolutely cannot imagine the situation that a collapsible steering column would save you in one of these little cars. I think I would rather not have the lower shaft slide out either. Anyway it's done and back in with only a few scars.   I found the reinstallation trick to be loosening the lower shaft at the steering box and sliding it forward enough for the firewall end would go together.

I rate it a three beer job and it's time to put the little red car away as it is bike week here in Daytona  and time to ride and mingle.

Dan

Dakota123

Bob,

if you wouldn't mind, tell us more about the Honda switches you used.  My turn signal switch is shot, and the wiper switch isn't far behind.  What model Honda?  Anythng special to mount it?

Thanks,

Mike

subwoofer

Mike, you know you can use the switch gear from a late MGB? Check the Moss catalog for pricing, but it's not insane.

Just remember to swap the pins in the connectors before installing, that is a 10 minute job.

--
Joachim

Dakota123

Thank you, I did see that.   That is the direction I will probably go, but was curious about the Honda option.  The JH piece feels so fragile.

Mike

UltraBB 1.172 Copyright © 2007-2011 Data 1 Systems