Moderated by: Greg Fletcher
New Topic Reply Printer Friendly
Exhast Manifold (Header)  Rate Topic 
AuthorPost
 Posted: 06-01-2008 08:58 pm
  PM Quote Reply
1st Post
d.dewdney

Well after much anticipation (Over a year) I finally got to hit the road with the Jensen ..and it was nice but like everything else something had to give. The car seemed to get louder and louder as time wore on. I decided to wait till the weekend and run it over to a shop for them to have a look at (or listen to).........As it turns out the exhast manifold is cracked ,It appears to have been repaired before (Welded)

Now do I hunt for a used one or pay my dues as a Jensen Owner and order a new one? From what I have  read in the forums changing out does not sound like it will be too much fun.

Advice? thoughts?

Fun while it lasted.........

Dave

Back To Top PM Quote Reply  

Posted: 06-03-2008 03:58 am
  PM Quote Reply
2nd Post
pbahr

If they are still available from Delta or otherwise, get a full race quality header with the 4:1 proper merge.  It will add some horsepower...

If you want a manifold, they should be easy to get from a scrap yard like Britishmasters in CA.  Or, I might have one in my garage for that matter.

In any case, they are a bit of a pain to R/R.

YELODOG

Posted: 06-03-2008 10:46 pm
  PM Quote Reply
3rd Post
d.dewdney

I take it when you say they are a pain to R / R  the difficulty lies with the                 re-installation portion.

Thanks for the advice YELODOG I'll certainly get back to you if you are interested in parting with your Manifold.

Dewd

Posted: 06-03-2008 11:38 pm
  PM Quote Reply
4th Post
pbahr

I think the remove is harder than the replace, cause you are learning how to bend your fingers in the direction that God did not intend.  Jacking up the Engine a bit is the real clue to this effort.  Of course, copper nuts and never-seize compound are my choice of items as well (in case you have to do this again ).

Pete Bahr

Posted: 06-04-2008 10:46 pm
  PM Quote Reply
5th Post
Greg Fletcher
Administrator

I think installing is the pain. The last time I did this I used a sawsall to simply cut off the old one so I could get to the mounting nuts. That didn't take long at all.

Just an FYI, the racing version is no longer being made. The new standard one is very nice and it does fit well. This is very different than what the car came with. The old ones that came on the cars are pretty crappy. The exhaust header had been redesigned and fine tuned over the years. Just my opinion, but you would be wasting your money by installing a used header. As Pete mentioned, the smaller outside diameter copper nuts are the way to go.

Current time is 11:37 pm  
> Jensen Healey & Jensen GT Tech > Engine & Transmission > Exhast Manifold (Header) Top

UltraBB 1.172 Copyright © 2007-2011 Data 1 Systems