Moderated by: Greg Fletcher
New Topic Reply Printer Friendly
4 speed rebuild parts  Rate Topic 
AuthorPost
 Posted: 05-05-2008 08:49 pm
  PM Quote Reply
1st Post
Frank Schwartz

Well, I have a spare 4 speed transmission and thought it would be a good idea to have it rebuilt by the local guru so I would have a rebuilt one ready to go.  Both my son and daughters JHs are prone to jump out of gear,  so if it gets worse, we would be ready to replace it.   Seems we need balk rings (synchros) and bearings..which I find are literally non-existant..from Delta dn Red Racer.  Does anyone know where these parts can be found?  Surely with all the 4 speeds out there somebody has parts to keep them going...

Back To Top PM Quote Reply  

Posted: 05-05-2008 09:08 pm
  PM Quote Reply
2nd Post
Greg Fletcher
Administrator

Who among us does not have at least 2-3 transmissions in their garage for spares? In a nutshell, you'll need to find a low mileage unit to replace it or find a spare for the parts. This transmission is odd, but there are still plenty of old units floating around that can be had on the cheap. New old stock parts have been picked over for years, there just isn't anything left to speak of. Just be glad you don't have a 5 speed Getrag, those parts are both rare and expensive!

Posted: 05-06-2008 02:43 am
  PM Quote Reply
3rd Post
jgreen

I know this may not be the most popular option, but LONG term, it may be the best solution when it comes to parts availability and easy of fixing. The Club store Toyota 5 speed. ( yes, it is pricey, I know), but it has to be considered seriously when parts and patience dry up.  There are tons of spare parts available and everybody and his brother can overhaul them when the time comes. Besides, once installed, the shifting is crisp and its highly reliable. Basically, one less thing to worry about.

Posted: 02-28-2022 10:23 pm
  PM Quote Reply
4th Post
Spaceman

Ya, I have 3 including a Sunbeam Rapier with Overdrive I am hoping to mate to the 907. so besides the obvious, the input shaft has a collor around it for the clutch throw out bearing, is there any other difference in the two transmissions?

Last edited on 02-28-2022 10:23 pm by Spaceman

Current time is 01:40 am  
> Jensen Healey & Jensen GT Tech > Engine & Transmission > 4 speed rebuild parts Top

UltraBB 1.172 Copyright © 2007-2011 Data 1 Systems