Moderated by: Greg Fletcher
New Topic Reply Printer Friendly
Valve Noise?  Rate Topic 
AuthorPost
 Posted: 04-22-2008 01:54 am
  PM Quote Reply
1st Post
Mark Nardi

My Jensen Healey's engine recently began making what sounds like a valve tap.  The noise ranges in tone and volume from that of a metal pen being quietly tapped on a metal desk to a loud almost popping sound.  The noise will usually quiet down at higher revs, but not always.  The engine seems to run rougher when the noise is louder (but that could just be my imagination).  The head has been reworked at some point, as evidenced by the bent valves in a bag O'parts provided by the previous owner.

Any suggestions of what this sound might be?  How does one start the process of checking for valve problems?

Back To Top PM Quote Reply  

Posted: 04-22-2008 11:55 am
  PM Quote Reply
2nd Post
Brett Gibson JH5 20497

Do a cylinder pressure test for starters, remember to have the carbs wide open when you do it, that will tell you if your engine has serious problems.

Brett

Posted: 04-23-2008 02:03 am
  PM Quote Reply
3rd Post
Mark Nardi

Prior to reading today's reply, I pulled the valve covers off and checked the clearances.  They all seem tight.  The exhaust side (the lower side) has clearances that run between 0.006 - 0.008.  The intake side runs between < 0.004 - 0.006.  Could this be the cause of my noise? 

I'm thinking that my next step will be to pull the cam housings and try looking at shims.  Which leads me to worry if the valves are shimmed to begin with.  If not shimmed then is the only way to gain clearance to grind stems (which means pulling the head)?  Is there any way to tell if the valves have been damaged short of pulling the head?  Or should I put it back together and do a compression test?

So many questions....

Posted: 04-23-2008 10:48 am
  PM Quote Reply
4th Post
Brett Gibson JH5 20497

Mark, a compression test will tell you if you need to pull the head.  Factory valve clearance cold is exhaust 10 to 12, inlet 5 to 7, so your exhaust is a bit tight. Also it's a matter of shimming for clearance NOT grinding.

I really think you should do a comp. test before you get to involved.

Brett 

Posted: 04-23-2008 03:36 pm
  PM Quote Reply
5th Post
edward_davis

Mark,  The valves are always shimmed: you can't run the engine without shims because of the way the cam followers are designed.  If you put it together without shims, the cam follower would rest on the spring retainer, which is not intiended to carry the force.  With a shim in place, the force goes directly to the top of the valve stem.  You may be in a tight spot, though, if your shims turn out to be too small.  I agree with Brett, though: you should do the compression test first.  You don't need to put the valve covers on if you do a cold test, but it's best to do the test at operating temperature.

Edward

Posted: 04-29-2008 12:45 am
  PM Quote Reply
6th Post
Mark Nardi

Here are the compression results (run cold):

Cyl.   PSI Read
#1   130 - 140
#2   75 - 80
#3   135 - 140
#4   130 - 135

I hooked up the tester and cranked the engine until a maximum reading was reached as reported above.  The range is because I ran the test 4 times on each cyl.

Should I start looking for a rebuild kit, someone to rebuild for me, or are there more diagnostics to be run?  Someone suggested that the cause may be a blown head gasket.

Thanks.

Last edited on 04-29-2008 02:08 am by Mark Nardi

Current time is 03:14 pm  
> Jensen Healey & Jensen GT Tech > Engine & Transmission > Valve Noise? Top

UltraBB 1.172 Copyright © 2007-2011 Data 1 Systems