Home 
Home Search search Menu menu Not logged in - Login | Register
> Jensen Healey & Jensen GT Tech > Engine & Transmission > 4 speed Transmission fluid

Moderated by: Greg Fletcher
New Topic Reply Printer Friendly
4 speed Transmission fluid  Rating:  Rating
AuthorPost
 Posted: 04-16-2008 02:00 am
  PM Quote Reply
1st Post
D.Drake

I have just had the engine rebuilt and am now in the midst of re-installing everything !
I had used a blend of 20w50 and ATF with great success in the past ,but I cannot recall what proportions I had used ! I am wondering what the Groups thoughts are and what fluid ratios people have used  in their cars .

Back To Top PM Quote Reply  

Posted: 04-16-2008 05:11 am
  PM Quote Reply
2nd Post
Jensen Healey
Super Moderator

That doesn't really sound like a good idea to me. 

I'm no chemist but I'll stick with approved fluids or reasonable sounding alternatives like Red Line MTL.

Is it too cold to where you are to run straight 20/50?

Kurt

Posted: 04-16-2008 04:46 pm
  PM Quote Reply
3rd Post
Greg Fletcher
Administrator

I agree with Kurt, not sure if adding AFT is advised. I'd be concerned that the ATF might be too light for the 4 speed.

I have used Redline 10W 30 oil (recommended conventional oil is Castrol 20w 50) in the past in the 4 speed and that's about as good as it gets. It's a very durable oil that keeps the transmission from getting sticky in cold weather and lubricates the gears well.

Posted: 04-17-2008 02:07 am
  PM Quote Reply
4th Post
D.Drake

Its' not particularily cold in Toronto in the summer .....but with striaght 20w 50 dino  oil the tranny was sticky until it warmed up .
At some point along the way a mix of ATF and 20w50 was sugggested ,Whatever ratio I ended up using at the time solved the problem and the tranny felt like silk .I was concerned at the time that  the ATF  would attack the neoprene seals ,but that didn't appear to happen.
Perhaps this time  around I will try the lighter weight oil  and see how that performs

as always thanx for the advice

Posted: 04-17-2008 05:27 pm
  PM Quote Reply
5th Post
jcdean

I highly suggest that you go tto the Redline site and read about there Tranny Oils. This is some quality stuff.  I run it in every car I have with a manual transmission and it helped them all a bit, but on some of the rougher shifting ones it was like a rebuild in a can.  Stiction can be your buddy.

Posted: 04-18-2008 01:25 am
  PM Quote Reply
6th Post
LambandAndy

I seem to remember that on the JH I owned many years ago in the UK, the gearbox would get a little sticky in cold weather.  I used a teflon additive (Slick 50 or similar) for manual transmissions and it took care of it.

Andy 15223

Current time is 03:24 am  
> Jensen Healey & Jensen GT Tech > Engine & Transmission > 4 speed Transmission fluid Top

UltraBB 1.172 Copyright © 2007-2011 Data 1 Systems