Moderated by: Greg Fletcher
New Topic Reply Printer Friendly
Fantastic Dashboard  Rating:  Rating
AuthorPost
 Posted: 04-15-2008 02:07 pm
  PM Quote Reply
1st Post
Frank Schwartz

Just received the JHPS April Bulletin.  On the back cover is a pictures of James Herring's "new" dash on his JH.   If James reads this, would he please contact me off line at mfsjr2@comcast.net.   If this is a feasible project, I would like to try it.  It seems to be a beautiful alternative to the crazy plastic instrument insert.

Back To Top PM Quote Reply  

Posted: 04-19-2008 01:49 am
  PM Quote Reply
2nd Post
George

I just got my copy of the mag, and I have to agree, that is a nice dashboard!

Posted: 04-23-2008 11:57 am
  PM Quote Reply
3rd Post
Harkes

could anyone post a picture of that? I would be interested to see this, if possible.

Thanks Erik

PS: I'm installing new black carpet and new carpathian elm burlwood from Maderas Concept..

Posted: 04-28-2008 04:10 am
  PM Quote Reply
4th Post
Frank Schwartz

So far, it seems no one is able to tell me how to reach this James Herring in North Carolina (USA)...and so far, no one seems to know him.  Nonetheless...here is a copy of the back cover of the magazine showing this beautiful dash.... Hopefully I can find out to reach him and even might be able to get drawings, or dimensions or instructions as to how to duplicate this beauty....
Regards to all,
Frank Schwartz
mfsjr2@comcast.net

Posted: 04-28-2008 04:22 am
  PM Quote Reply
5th Post
Frank Schwartz

I left it out...am trying again...

Posted: 04-28-2008 04:24 am
  PM Quote Reply
6th Post
Frank Schwartz

for some reason the picture will not come through..anyone who wants to see it, please contact me off line and I will send you the JPG of the dash of Mr. Herrings JH.
Frank Schwartz
mfsjr2@comcast.net

Posted: 05-12-2008 11:37 pm
  PM Quote Reply
7th Post
jgreen

I spoke to James Hering a few minutes ago. He just sold his car a few weeks ago to a new owner, however he did take time to brief me on how he designed and built the unique dashboard. Here is a Summary:

1) Acquire a used crappy ripped up JH dashboard.

2) Arm yourself with a razor blade, a fiberglass kit, 1- 3/4 inch piece of solid hardwood., ford dash vents, chrome bezels for the instruments, right angle "L" pieces to secure the dash. Do not throw out the bottom of the dash. those pieces are still needed to hook into the bottom of the original dash.

3)  Remove all the old vinyl from the JH dash. Do not worry about the cracks.

4)  Use the razor to carve outt he styrofoam a large recess  leaqving the top and bottom of the original dash intact. The instument pod area is carved out along with the area all along the dash vents to the edge. Do not cut out the edges of the dash, they are to be left intact. When you are finished, the original frame will mount correctly with the original hardware, but the foam will be carved out. Leave an inch or so of foam to attach the new wood dashboard all around.

5) Cut the wood to fit the new dashboard and test fit. Place the instruments and vents and cut the holes. Set the angle and screw the dash in from the rear with all the 'L" brackets  - one piece screws into the foam and the other end screws into the wood on the backside. Install te instuments and fiberglass the inside and the outside of the dash forming the outside like it is shown in the pictures.

James is sending me 4 detailed pictures of the installation with greater detail.

If someone is handy with this type of work, I think it would be fairly easy to design an installation kit and possibly sell it to all the members who do not have the skills. The hard part would be cutting the original dash and installing the wood dash with all the new guage placemnt holes. I was thinking the kit could be made and sold through the JHPS site with the only thing the buyer would have to do is install the gauges, and the dash himself. Well, it's just an idea....

Anybody's thoughts are welcome.....

I will copy picures when they arrive and send them to all who are interested

Posted: 05-13-2008 02:03 am
  PM Quote Reply
8th Post
Frank Schwartz

That is absolutely fascinating.  I noticed he had one extra small gauge that is used on the regular JH...such as we have the oil pressure, voltmeter, water temp and the fuel gauge...he seems to have another.  Know what it is?  Not including the clock on the far right end.   Will look forward to more pictures...
Thank you so much for the information.

Posted: 05-13-2008 02:07 am
  PM Quote Reply
9th Post
Frank Schwartz

Forgot to mention...I certainly would like to see those pictures he is sending.
Frank

Current time is 11:14 pm  
> Jensen Healey & Jensen GT Tech > Body & interior stuff > Fantastic Dashboard Top

UltraBB 1.172 Copyright © 2007-2011 Data 1 Systems