Home 
Home Search search Menu menu Not logged in - Login | Register
> Jensen Healey & Jensen GT Tech > Engine & Transmission > Early JH oil and vapor collector can

Moderated by: Greg Fletcher
New Topic Reply Printer Friendly
Early JH oil and vapor collector can  Rate Topic 
AuthorPost
 Posted: 04-11-2008 03:08 am
  PM Quote Reply
1st Post
Frank Schwartz

As I am working on an earlier 73 JH, I have encountered a unit I am unfamiliar with.
It is an oil filler and vapor collector can mounted on the bulkhead.  I was given to understand that this unit had a screen in it and I was warned to check it to make sure it was not coming apart and bits of it were travelling down the pipe into the crankcase.
Once I removed it I found there is no screen in it at all.  Question:  is this "screen" necessary...or can I continue without it??

Back To Top PM Quote Reply  

Posted: 04-11-2008 04:42 pm
  PM Quote Reply
2nd Post
Greg Fletcher
Administrator

I have this unit (not on a car) and I didn't see a screen with it ever. Maybe that was a later addition? I don't think it's a big deal to run without it, after all there is no screen under the oil filler cap on later cars that add oil through the camshaft cover.

Posted: 04-27-2008 06:07 pm
  PM Quote Reply
3rd Post
d.dewdney

I to have a question regarding this item.

There are 3 hose connections the bottom one connects to the oil pan the middle one appears to attach to the block aft of the oil filter and (I believe) the oil pressure line.

My query is Where does the top one go to? When I first boufght the car there was no hose or line attached to the last point so I have no idea where it goes any help would be greatly appreaciated.

it appears I am only days away from driving my 73 JH (I have never driven one or even been for a ride as a passenger, I just happen to see one when I was 17 and fell in love)

Thanks in advance   Dave

Posted: 04-27-2008 09:51 pm
  PM Quote Reply
4th Post
D.Drake

Dave the upper hose connects to the back of the air filters assumming you have the after market twin filter units

I'm north of Newmarket,  nice to have another JH in the neighbourhood

Posted: 04-27-2008 09:56 pm
  PM Quote Reply
5th Post
D.Drake

Dave here is a pic of my setup

Attachment: photos from camera0005_1.JPG (Downloaded 65 times)

Posted: 04-28-2008 12:30 am
  PM Quote Reply
6th Post
d.dewdney

I guess when I get the JH on the road I'll have to take a run up to your neck of the woods. I have a few friends who live in the wick.

As for the 3rd hose, I may have to do some custom work to my air filters.

Looking forward to comparing notes..............Dave

Posted: 04-28-2008 12:33 am
  PM Quote Reply
7th Post
d.dewdney

How long have you had your Jensen and what made you decide on one?

Dave

Posted: 04-28-2008 01:38 am
  PM Quote Reply
8th Post
D.Drake

I bought  the car in around 1980 .I was  trying to find a TR6 that wasn't too rusted out at the time and ran across the JH .
In about 1973 while touring BC  with a friend in his TR 6 (new at the time ) We fell in with a JH  on the Trans Canada and I could  see how much more power it had than the TR .
So when I saw this JH  and got to take for a test drive  I was sold .
I will say that from the day I bought it I was terrified of having to rebuild the engine as the reported costs were astronomical .Well I have finally had to face that demon and while it was not cheap   it was not at all as bad as anticipated

I have kept it as a daily summer driver and it never fails to put a smile on my face (unless of course its raining) then the wipers suck ,the top leaks and the demister is just too optomistic a name (haha)

When did you get yours ?

Posted: 04-28-2008 04:40 pm
  PM Quote Reply
9th Post
d.dewdney

I aquired mine last year near the end of June but was sidetracked for a spell (I blew my own vavle). I'm very much looking forward to seeing what she can do.

Funny you should mention going out West with a friend in 73, I went East in 74 also with a new 6 (My friend's) I was also a fan of the 6 (I had 3 of them myself) the 1st one I had was the best (Should have kept it)

One day I was downtown at a dealership (British United) and it was there that I saw my first JH. Being a fan of Lotus cars (I had an old Europa "breadvan" with a 1600 cc Renault power plant) I gave it a close look and was hooked. Unfortunatly I never saw another till last year, so after getting the go ahead I picked her up.

Current time is 07:19 am  
> Jensen Healey & Jensen GT Tech > Engine & Transmission > Early JH oil and vapor collector can Top

UltraBB 1.172 Copyright © 2007-2011 Data 1 Systems