Home 
Home Search search Menu menu Not logged in - Login | Register
> Jensen Healey & Jensen GT Tech > Engine & Transmission > Exhaust system replacement

Moderated by: Greg Fletcher Page:    1  2  Next Page Last Page  
New Topic Reply Printer Friendly
Exhaust system replacement  Rating:  Rating
AuthorPost
 Posted: 03-24-2008 09:30 pm
  PM Quote Reply
1st Post
mnunes22

My J/H has a 4-into one header and a 2" single exhaust  pipe that flows into a tubular "glass-pack" type silencer located mid-body , the exit from the "glass-pack"transitions down to 1 3/4" exhaust pipe which continues into the rear ,single tip muffler. The header seems to have been added recently and is in good shape but the rest appears to have been worked on many times with several different types of welders /abilities and needs replacement.

I've looked at the exhaust system from the club store and Delta and would like to hear opinions on quality, ease of installation, sound loudness etc. Has anyone used a different type of system/set-up that they liked or would warn about?

Thanks, Bill

Back To Top PM Quote Reply  

Posted: 03-25-2008 10:59 am
  PM Quote Reply
2nd Post
Brett Gibson JH5 20497

Bill, my car came to me with a Monza system, basically header was 4 into 2, 2 into muffler, 2 out into 2 resonator, and 2 tail tips, small ID's, sporty sounding on the loudish side.

I replaced the system with a Delta unit after the header, so now its 4 into one, ID being 1-1/8" and solid thick walls, stay's one into the resonator and two tips out the back, a little louder but not offensive, the only issue I had with it was mine is a rubber bumper car and the tips out the back did not clear past the bumper, so I would get exhaust dust all over the rear end, fixed that by welding SS extension tips over the shorter ones, and every thing is fine. I would recommend the Delta unit.

There is also a SS unit out there that I have seen on just a couple of cars, I have no experience with it, but it did look nice.

Brett

Posted: 04-15-2008 10:53 pm
  PM Quote Reply
3rd Post
Tim Knowlton

Brett,

Been along time since we have chatted. I too had the delta tips and had to put extensions on to clear the rubber bumper. My system will need replacing soon and am hunting for the newest technology available. What is the SS unit you mentioned???

Tim Knowlton

Posted: 04-16-2008 03:49 am
  PM Quote Reply
4th Post
mnunes22

You might take a look at Dave Bean Engineering. They have SS replacement units for Jensen Healey on their  "Specials" page.  This is a 2 pipe system front to back from the information they gave me. A little too pricey for me at this time, I ended up at the local muffler shop and for $160 got a  system from header back to twin chrome tips that looks appropriate and is  reasonably quite. Good luck on your quest.

Bill  

Posted: 04-21-2008 03:32 pm
  PM Quote Reply
5th Post
Brett Gibson JH5 20497

Tim, how are you, I dont know much as to the SS units, I see UK cars sometimes come up with them installed, plus the last nationals a guy showed up with a very nice black JH with one, I probably should have asked were he got it.

But I think the UK place's along with Dave Bean as mentioned, plus I'm sure local shop's would be up for the challenge as long as they have the bending equipment, and they might even be cheaper.

Are you bringing your Black Beauty down to Watkins this year, if you do I'll buy you a beer at the hospitallity room. John Cronin live's in your neck of the woods maybe you could convoy.

Brett

Posted: 10-20-2009 09:17 pm
  PM Quote Reply
6th Post
timeforwalkies

Sorry I didn't read up a bit on this before I bought my system from Delta.  It was installed by a very reputable shop, but as shipped.  Expect a lot of cutting and playing around to get it to fit.  And in truth it still doesn't fit.  Rubs against the axle.  On top of that it leaks and makes so much noise it's going to the dump.  I would not recommend the Delta unit.
I do have a question for the group though.  This unit puts out an incredible amount of heat behind the transmission.  I mean hot heat.  In the summer it is horrid.  Again it is going to the dump, but my question is, was there a heat deflector somewhere along the line that is now missing?  And how much clearance should there be between the bottom of the car and the exhaust pipe/muffler?
Any new suggestions regarding a good system?  I was considering an s2000 system, but without the cat converter.  Thoughts?

Last edited on 10-20-2009 09:19 pm by timeforwalkies

Posted: 10-20-2009 09:26 pm
  PM Quote Reply
7th Post
JodyKerr

There was no heat deflector on the Jensen-Healey, there was, however, one on the Jensen GT. That car was intended to have a bit more luxury than th eJH, and it has a few niceties such as the heat baffle.

I have no clue how available these are today, but you could always fab something up in the tunnel with heat shielding or cover the tunnel from the top (as I did) in something like Dynamat.

The only real concern is transmission clearance and the wiring that goes through the the transmission.

Posted: 10-21-2009 04:58 am
  PM Quote Reply
8th Post
timeforwalkies

OK.  So not to bright am I.
Just figured out what SS means by going to the Dave Bean Site.  He still has what appear to be a complete systems in "Stainless Steel".  But what I am really looking for is better technology, not a different material.  I think there must be something more efficient out there that is also quiet.  I suggested the S2000 setup because it is a high rev 2 liter engine that just kicks butt and is really quiet.  But there are other systems on other cars out there as well.  I know, loud pipes mean less back pressure and therefor more power, but there must be a better way.
Get back,
Timeforwalkies

Posted: 10-21-2009 11:29 am
  PM Quote Reply
9th Post
jcdean

I had a new header drop shipped to Jet-Coat for their ceramic coating.  With a new, unused, header they are able to coat the inside as well as the outside.  Significant difference in radiant temperatures.  They have a very good product.

Usual discalimer, no affiliation, YMMV.

Posted: 10-22-2009 01:46 pm
  PM Quote Reply
10th Post
Brett Gibson JH5 20497

The last bunch of JH's that were equipped with cat. converters had a heat shield installed similar to the GT's, these cars also had an air pump and the heads modified to take the plumbing. I still have the shield tucked away someplace.

When I installed the Delta unit I had to rebend the header outlet up towards the undercarriage so as to get a bit more road clearance, by doing that the shield no longer fit, as for the pipe over the axle that was a PITA for a while until I fabed a different holding bracket that made the system stiffer and got less travel in it, as for heat from the system mines not much of an issue, I just keep moving, I would suggest if you consider the unit to noisy add another small muffler to it.

And PS. not toss it out I'm sure someone out there would be more than happy to take it off your hands fi you dont want to modifie it.

Good luck.  Brett

Posted: 05-03-2010 04:49 pm
  PM Quote Reply
11th Post
timeforwalkies

On recommendation I opted for the Delta system.  What a mistake.  Huffacker Engineering did the install as part of a 2.2 upgrade.  It was a pain in the butt to install requiring many modifications.  The over the axle bend hits the axle on hard bumps, and there are several leaks.  Huffacker said they had to make several modification in order to fit it, and the rear hanger bracket was useless.  Of course the bracket they created looks like crap, but at least the tips clear the rear rubber bumper.  On top of that it is very loud, so loud you can not hear the radio even at cruise.   I am going to have this system replaced this week.

Posted: 05-04-2010 03:27 am
  PM Quote Reply
12th Post
dwalls1

Have had my Delta system on for about a year now. The install was problematic, but having installed a Monza system on my TR7 I didn't think it was too bad. It is loud, and I can't hear the radio on the highway. It's still quieter than the rusted out stock system. Getting the hoop over the axle right requires patience, each piece, front to rear must be turned just so, to end up correctly. I do hope it lasts a while as I wouldn't want to install one too often.

Posted: 05-04-2010 05:50 pm
  PM Quote Reply
13th Post
Mitch Ware

I did the Delta system on my car when I did the restoration. It went on like a dream.

Mitch Ware

Posted: 05-04-2010 11:38 pm
  PM Quote Reply
14th Post
Greg Fletcher
Administrator

The exhaust system that Delta sells is normally not a simple install, part of the problem is the non-standard nature of the Jensen Healey. With some cars, as Mitch mentioned, it goes right in, while other cars, like mine, not so much. I spent days installing it on my car and I agree, it's much too loud for my taste out of the box, not to mention that nothing seemed to really fit as well as I thought it should. I ended up taking the car to a custom exhaust shop (not easy to find these days) and they took it all apart and put it all back together, added a tiny piece here, cutting out a tiny there, inserting an extra, small muffler in front of the axle and welded it up. It took about 2 1/2 hours (they made it look easy, but they've been doing this for 20 years) and cost me about $380, but it's perfect now– that's the kind of stuff you have to do sometimes with an old, funky British car.

Posted: 05-05-2010 05:35 am
  PM Quote Reply
15th Post
subwoofer

Annoying, isn't it? You know the car is fighting them every step of the way, yet they manage to install it perfectly in less that 3 hours.

I really hope we will see the return of specialty shops like that in the near future, once oil and steel gets expensive enough for Average Joe to want to have stuff repaired again.

--
Joachim

Posted: 08-02-2011 11:36 pm
  PM Quote Reply
16th Post
Dakota123

I hadn't planned on it at this point (still have seat covers to go on the cosmetics front) but my frankenstein exhaust system started leaking abnoxiously. I had it replaced with a 2.25" system using two resonators (which is what was on the car previously) and a Magnaflow muffler, single inlet/double outlet. Fail on the muffler -- wayyy to loud for me. No resonance but just too much exhaust noise. That great Lotus sound is gone.

Any advice on muffler make and model? All the aftermarket companies seem to claim "not much louder than stock" -- which is what scares me, 'cause I pretty much DO want stock.

Mike

Last edited on 08-03-2011 04:04 am by Dakota123

Posted: 08-03-2011 12:49 am
  PM Quote Reply
17th Post
SpeedyMitch

Hay Mike,

I have been toying with an idea. Some may find this offensive but here is my thinking:

A Miata has motor very similar to the Lotus 907 (2.0L, DOHC, 16v). The Miata is not loud. After-market parts are readily available. I like the dual-tips look.

If you are willing to (re)move your spare time as I have then this may be an option:

http://www.miatamania.com/Shop/ViewProducts.aspx?PlateIndexID=76260

It is expensive ($360) but also high quality and tunable by adding the extra baffle.

If you don't want the 'tunable' muffler I bet you could get a OEM muffler from Mazda for much less.

Posted: 08-03-2011 04:01 am
  PM Quote Reply
18th Post
timeforwalkies

I couldn't take it any more.  The Delta exhaust was a terrible fit, hitting the axle and leaking, and was way to loud.  I finally took the car to a local shop and had them put in a 2 1/4 setup.  It fits perfect, no more load bangs when I hit a bump, and no more leaks.  I think it is still a bit on the loud side, but at least I can talk and be heard.  I think I can feel a bit more power with the 2 1/4 pipe set to the 2.2 conversion, but it is minimal at best.
Still don't understand how BMW and Audi seem to get so much power with so little noise.  Maybe that's the difference between a $1000.00 system and a $300.00 system.

Posted: 08-03-2011 04:06 am
  PM Quote Reply
19th Post
Dakota123

The Miata idea is a good one. The Bosal seems to have a reputation for being 'too' quiet, which is probably about right.

Mike

Posted: 08-03-2011 05:04 am
  PM Quote Reply
20th Post
Mason Jones

In case others are considering the Delta I'll add my experience which was positive.

My 73 came with a complete Delta system that had yet to be installed so the decision was already made. Overall I'd say I'm happy with it. It wasn't easy to install but I chalk that up to me never having had to touch an exhaust system before. It was about as much fun as hanging a door or installing a hood. Lots of finagling.

Also, like Mitch, the angle of the header seemed to be too far down. I didn't bend it but the next section connects to the header at a bit of an angle which is not ideal. Still a nice tight fit though. The original hangars had been replaced at some point and that didn't help either.

As for the noise level I think it sounds beautiful but that's pretty subjective. The original had so many holes my kids refused to sit in it if I started it up so anything was an improvement. I've never heard another JH in person so have nothing to compare to. I don't think I would say it's so loud I couldn't talk or hear the radio though even at highway speed.

Current time is 09:09 am Page:    1  2  Next Page Last Page    
> Jensen Healey & Jensen GT Tech > Engine & Transmission > Exhaust system replacement Top

UltraBB 1.172 Copyright © 2007-2011 Data 1 Systems