Moderated by: Greg Fletcher
New Topic Reply Printer Friendly
Front Spoiler Attachment  Rating:  Rating
AuthorPost
 Posted: 03-15-2008 12:30 pm
  PM Quote Reply
1st Post
George

I was examining the situation and it seems the spoiler will bolt straight to the panels on the sides where there are already bolts.  I will add a couple more there as well, but this leaves the entire center section unsupported (the part actually in front of the radiator).  The spoiler does not over lap with this section of the sheet metal, although it matches up well.  To add support I will need to fashion some sort of support bracket, I figure.

Have other people done this?, seems more support is needed, given the amount of force against the spoiler at speed, but not sure what to add.

Thanks for any thoughts

See everybody at Watkins Glen!

George

Back To Top PM Quote Reply  

Posted: 03-15-2008 02:29 pm
  PM Quote Reply
2nd Post
Jensen Healey
Super Moderator

The center section should be bolted directly to the sheetmetal under the oilcooler. Bring  the sides all the way back even with the wheel arches.

I have had the spoiler partially self-remove at speed. It was reinstalled with 2" fender washers with rubber gaskets and Nylock nuts. There's a lot of downforce on it at freeway speeds.

Kurt

Posted: 03-18-2008 03:01 pm
  PM Quote Reply
3rd Post
Brett Gibson JH5 20497

George, first thing to realize with attaching the spoiler Delta supplies, is that you just don't bolt it up the way it came, if you try to do that it comes out looking like it doesnt belong.

You need to cut small amounts off untill you get the proper fit, the biggest area that gets cut is were the spoiler rests in front of the oil cooler, and were it sweeps down to go under the the sides of each fender. best tool for cutting is a Dremel, and use C-clamps to hold it up to figure your next cut.

I used four small bolts to hold it along with fender washers, one spot were the fender meets the oil cooler shelf, and the next at the very end of the spoiler were it attaches to the wheel arch, yes you need to cut that much off to get it back enough to line up with the wheel arch. once in place with the middle section resting on the shelf the thing is going no where, I've had mine up to a 100 mph plus and it's rock solid.

I may have a couple of pictures around some place if you want to have a look.

Brett.   C-Ya at Watkins

Posted: 03-18-2008 05:12 pm
  PM Quote Reply
4th Post
Joel

I would like to see your pictures. I just slapped mine on.  It looks ok.  I really don't like the look much-but what a difference in cooling!!! Hell,  on  a day under 70 my car might not hit 150 degrees.  Before the spoiler it was pushing 200.

And, I was in a car that lost a spoiler at about 120mph.  It's not nearly as fun as it sounds.  Fortunately, it was gone in a hurry at that speed.  Just a quick and LOUD bang and she was gone.  It could have been messy had it been partially attached still.....

Posted: 03-18-2008 06:03 pm
  PM Quote Reply
5th Post
Brett Gibson JH5 20497

Joel, give me your e-mail and i'l shoot 6 picts over, not sure how to post them here. nothing seems to work, probably to big a file size.

Brett.

Posted: 03-19-2008 08:57 pm
  PM Quote Reply
6th Post
Frank Schwartz

Brett:
My son Mark, had one from Delta and he made a bracket out of a piece of sheet metal and monted the spoiler to it...and it is now removeable...which is nice in case it gets cracked or damaged.  Next time he is by here (probably the first of next week) I will ask him to get on this site and tell you what he did.  I am not sure if he will come to J2008E with his car or not..  I maybe can take a picture of underneath as you cannot see the bracket from the top.  It was a piece of metal about three inches wide and long enough to fit in front of the lower valence or whatever it is called.  He used pop rivets that have threads in them and spaced them along the long sheet metal bracket and also on the fender mounting points...they are not seen , but stainless 1/4 X 20 screws hold it in place securely.     Frankly, I gave up on fitting it up to the car and told him I would not do the job...but he insisted he had an idea and began hammering that piece of metal to the proper curve and in an hour had it shaped properly...I was actually surprised how cleverly he figured out the perfect mounting setup.
Frank

Posted: 03-19-2008 09:01 pm
  PM Quote Reply
7th Post
Frank Schwartz

One more thing...we did not have to cut off anything or modify any part of the car or spoiler...just drilled holes in it for mounting and a hole in the underside of each fender for the threaded pop rivet ( I do not know the correct name for these).  So many of the cars are not exactly the same at the bottom of the fenders and by the oil cooler and cutting the car or the spoiler is not, IMHO, the best way to do it...but to each his own..
Frank

Posted: 03-20-2008 12:17 pm
  PM Quote Reply
8th Post
Mitch Ware

I believe you are talking about NUTSERTS, Frank. They go in like a pop rivet, using a special tool, and you are left with a threaded hole to put a bolt into.

Mitch

Posted: 03-24-2008 12:54 am
  PM Quote Reply
9th Post
Frank Schwartz

That's right, Mitch...NUTSERTS...I couldn't think of the word...senior moment, I guess...
Frank

Current time is 07:51 pm  
> Jensen Healey & Jensen GT Tech > Cooling > Front Spoiler Attachment Top

UltraBB 1.172 Copyright © 2007-2011 Data 1 Systems