Moderated by: Greg Fletcher Page:  First Page Previous Page  1  2   
New Topic Reply Printer Friendly
adjusting valves  Rate Topic 
AuthorPost
 Posted: 04-06-2009 12:29 am
  PM Quote Reply
21st Post
Gary Martin JH 15371

Thanks Judson, I was hoping you would respond. I will install it as is and run it for a few thousand miles and re-check clearances. I want to run it awhile before deciding on changing the exhaust cam. We finally have some nice weather here in Oregon which is helping me make progress on the car. Engine should go in the car tomorrow. Need to install the tank and fuel pump plus a few other things, but should be ready to fire it up in a couple of weeks. I have been posting pictures of my progress in the gallery under JH of Oregon, 15371 progress.

Gary

Back To Top PM Quote Reply  

Posted: 04-07-2009 12:22 pm
  PM Quote Reply
22nd Post
Jensenman

Has anyone considered or tried making an .010 aluminum cam tower gasket and using 518 on each side of that? That would eliminate the gasket crush problem. It's not unprecedented; Datsuns used to have 'head savers' which were steel shims for the cam towers, used when the head was resurfaced too much or the valve tips were too high.

On valve clearances: I learned the hard way many years ago on motorcycles to always set them a little loose (an extra .001-.002). As the valve contacts the seat it will slowly wear and 'grow' out of the head, effectively closing the clearances and this leads to burnt valves, particularly on the exhaust side.

Last edited on 04-07-2009 07:19 pm by Jensenman

Posted: 04-07-2009 01:47 pm
  PM Quote Reply
23rd Post
Jensen Healey
Super Moderator

I'm guessing the intake side was tightened up to gain a couple thousandths of lift.  Race engines get much more attention than a street engines so it would never be a problem.

If you are driving on the street and don't want to check your clearances very often, adjust them according to the manual.

I would drive it the way it is and adjust later!

Kurt

Posted: 04-07-2009 11:01 pm
  PM Quote Reply
24th Post
Gary Martin JH 15371

Thanks everyone for the comments. I was initially checking the clearance with the lobes directly opposite the cam follower.  I went back and rechecked, and I found that if I turn the lobes a few degrees past directly opposite the valve I gain another .015 to .02 in clearance! This puts me right in the .06 to .07 range for the intakes. The manual does not mention this. I just says to adjust on the heal of the cam lobe. Interesting.

Gary  

Current time is 08:38 am Page:  First Page Previous Page  1  2     
> Jensen Healey & Jensen GT Tech > Engine & Transmission > adjusting valves Top

UltraBB 1.172 Copyright © 2007-2011 Data 1 Systems