Home 
Home Search search Menu menu Not logged in - Login | Register
> Jensen Healey & Jensen GT Tech > Miscellaneous > Jensen Inter-Nationals East 2008

Moderated by: Greg Fletcher
New Topic Reply Printer Friendly
Jensen Inter-Nationals East 2008  Rating:  Rating
AuthorPost
 Posted: 01-17-2008 01:24 pm
  PM Quote Reply
1st Post
Brett Gibson JH5 20497

Well the Web site is up and running and I'm passing along the info I was given, If you have not been to one of these events I'm telling you you've missed a great time, so don't let this one slip by, and for a small sum you can take your car out for 3 laps on the world famous "Watkins Glen Racetrack". Believe me that in it's self is worth it, ton's of wineries an easy drive away,  great scenery and even greater people.

Brett.

Subject: 2008 Jensen Internationals East -- Watkins Glen

Jensen Friends:

Laura and I, and our planning committee are pleased to announce arrangements for the annual USA East meeting of the Jensen faithful.  We’ve scheduled the event for June 18-22, at Watkins Glen, NY. http://www.gowaterfalling.com/waterfalls/watkins.shtml .    Lodging is provided by the historic Seneca Lodge, http://www.senecalodge.com approximately three miles from the racetrack at Watkins Glen International.  The Seneca Lodge was selected by the committee to immerse our membership in the Watkins Glen racing experience, as it has served host to drivers, crews and racing enthusiasts since the initiation of road racing at the Glen in 1948.  The accommodations at the Seneca Lodge are more rustic in theme than those featured at previous events.  The motel rooms are clean but spartan and do not boast telephones, hair dryers or coffee makers.  Those given to an experience more akin to camping may instead choose to rent from among several rustic cabins offered at a reduced rate.  The cabins are proximate to the motel rooms.  Rooms are likely to go quickly at the Seneca Lodge and may only be reserved by telephone or snail mail. I have found that calling between 9:30-11:00 AM Eastern Time maximizes the probability of reaching Jack who will happily take your reservation.  Please be sure to note that you’re with the Jensen group. 

A website for the event is up at:http://web.sbu.edu/jensen

The website is a work in progress, so please check back often.

The tentative schedule of events can be found at the website, but highlights include:

n       Paced laps at Watkins Glen International, including lunch at the racetrack (not part of registration fee)

http://www.theglen.com/fan_info/thunder_road_tours/

n       A visit to the world famous Corning Museum of Glass

n       A tour of Seneca Lake wineries

n       The best funkhana in central New York (imported from Chicago)

n       BBQ and Jarts tournament at Watkins Glen State Park

n       Concourse of historic Jensens at Lafayette Park in Watkins Glen

n       Banquet at the Glen Club at Watkins Glen International

We’re looking forward to seeing everyone at The Glen™

If you have any questions please let us know.

Jeff and Laura

Back To Top PM Quote Reply  

Posted: 01-20-2008 01:25 am
  PM Quote Reply
2nd Post
pbahr

Well, Brett and Jeff/Laura are certainly correct in their description and excitement about the event at Watkins Glen.  I was part of a visit with Brett, Jeff, Laura and others, and can atttest to all they say.  It's going to be a fantastic event - unlike any of the others.  There is so much to see and do in that area that it would be well worth spending extra time there before or after the Internationals East.  Check out http://www.watkinsglen.com/search.cgi  for leads to other hot spots.

For any Jensen person that has ever watched more than 2 minutes of any racing show on TV, they must be interested in racing (my wife can't take more than 5 seconds).  Just think of driving around the same racetrack that has seen Niki Lauda, Jackie Stewart and Emerson Fittipaldi win Formula 1 races, Al Holbert, Derek Bell, Terry Labonte, Jeff Gordon and many other famous drivers winning NASCAR and other series.  Even Jensens have run at this track in anger - see below for a pix of Jim Reilly leading the very quick GT2 Porsche 944 of Jim Goughary at Watkins Glen track.

I think we might have a record attendace at this event.

I've heard that Jeff is the Jarts champion of Western NY State, so watch that he doesn't hustle you into a match........

Pete Bahr - YELODOG

Attachment: Jim Reillyat Watkins Glen.jpg (Downloaded 39 times)

Posted: 01-21-2008 07:19 pm
  PM Quote Reply
3rd Post
Mitch Ware

You guys are doing yeoman's duty hosting your second event in 5 years. Kudos!

I hope to get the time to make this year's event, and perhaps even bring my Jensen.

Mitch - #19670

Posted: 01-26-2008 01:39 pm
  PM Quote Reply
4th Post
jcrc1

This is going to be a great event. Jeff and Laura have worked tirelessly on this international event, and I believe they have put together something special. Nearby Corning, is really neat place with the highly acclaimed glass museum which I think everybody will like. I guarantee after a visit to the glass museum, Jensenites will come away with a unique appreciation for the properties of glass. I believe for a small fee they teach people how to blow glass and make something to bring home. I think they also teach glass "etching" also. There is a huge gift shop in case you sucked at making something out of glass and would like to bring something respectable home with you.

Also, Pete Bahr  found an interesting bar in downtown Corning ( he seems to have a knack for gravitating to those areas). He said it reminded him of his days in the Navy. Personally, I have never experienced a bar with such character and sophistication.

There are really unique antique shops which are located all around the Watkins, Glen, Corning area.

The JARTS tournament will be an instant classic event. Since I was a second round draft choice in college for the Jarts team, I am looking forward to an intense competition.  I think Brett Gibson has tossed a Jart or two, so he and Kathy will be skilled players.

I am looking forward to seeing Andy's Volvo 1800. I hope he is able to bring it this year.

John

Posted: 01-31-2008 11:29 pm
  PM Quote Reply
5th Post
Greg Fletcher
Administrator

"The JARTS tournament will be an instant classic event."

JARTS!!! (insert dramatic music) Sheesh, you guys are scaring me. You mean the deadly game of mayhem that's been banned in the USA??? I've never heard of Jarts before (it was probably banned in California before I was born) so I looked it up and all I can say is... ichiwawa! What does the winner get- to live?

http://www.radarmagazine.com/features/2006/12/toys.php

It's been called the most dangerous toy ever made, even in front of “Gilbert U-238 Atomic Energy Lab,” and that one spewed out deadly radiation!
http://www.radarmagazine.com/features/2006/12/gilbert_u238_atomic_energy_lab.php

Posted: 02-01-2008 03:35 pm
  PM Quote Reply
6th Post
Brett Gibson JH5 20497

As "Arnold" would say "what are you guy's Girly Men", heck Greg it ain't a game if you don't have casualties.

But rest assured there will be no JH's involved, but then again that could be real cool tossing them from a moving car.  Well heck Greg thanks for the idea, maybe the 1 st place prize could be a bust of you.

John Cronin, are you up for it, lets drive "your car" this time and I'll do the tossing, we can do it right after getting back from the wineries.

Posted: 02-01-2008 03:45 pm
  PM Quote Reply
7th Post
Greg Fletcher
Administrator

As long as we drink wine while we're throwing Jarts, I'm in.

Posted: 02-01-2008 06:08 pm
  PM Quote Reply
8th Post
jcdean

We will throw no Jart before it's time.

Posted: 02-02-2008 08:37 pm
  PM Quote Reply
9th Post
pbahr

I think it is also time for some of the Left Coast folks (besides the Meyers) to attend the East event.  Come on, what could be a better draw than Watkins Glen ? ? ? ? ?

Greg, if you don't drive your JH out here, for the small consideration of 4 beers, you can get behind the wheel of YELODOG at the Glen track event.

Pete

Posted: 02-29-2008 11:54 pm
  PM Quote Reply
10th Post
jcrc1

Here is the latest update for the Jensen 08  Inter-nationals.  Jeff and Laura have been working extremely hard and I think have really put something together which is going to be special.

I am still hoping Brett Gibson will be my partner in the Jarts Tournament  as I hear he has a DEADLY accurate throw.

Hi everyone:

We wanted to take a moment to update everyone regarding arrangements for the J2008 East meeting at Watkins Glen, NY.  We’ve received registrations from 14 individuals and at least 22 of the 40 rooms have been already been reserved.  I’m also aware of six or seven reservations that may be in the mail, including several individuals who will be attending their first Nationals  It appears that demand for rooms may soon exceed supply and I’m not sure how may more of the hotel rooms we can get released.  The guy who takes the reservations by phone had the wisdom to be in Florida recently (it was -2 here this morning), surprisingly he’s returned and is now available to accept reservations.  Jack can be reached at the Seneca Lodge at (607) 535-2014.

Bob Gillespie is a Watkins Glen artist and will be designing our poster, you can see his work at http://www.glenspeed.com .Also, we are putting together a compilation of pictures from previous events.  If you have photos from J2000-J2003 please consider forwarding them to us for inclusion in the compilation.  John Cronin is assisting with signs, gift bag items and importantly stock for the hospitality room.  Laura and I will be traveling to Watkins Glen in the next week or two to finalize contracts for the BBQ caterers and banquet arrangements.  We will also begin the difficult work of sampling wineries for inclusion in our tour.  We’re also going to speak to Schuyler County Hospital emergency room and local personal injury attorneys regarding sponsorship of the Jarts tournament

We hope this finds all of you well and look forward to seeing you in June!

Jeff and Laura

http://web.sbu.edu/jensen

Last edited on 03-02-2008 11:13 am by jcrc1

Posted: 03-24-2008 10:44 am
  PM Quote Reply
11th Post
Brett Gibson JH5 20497

Bump

Posted: 03-30-2008 04:59 am
  PM Quote Reply
12th Post
pbahr

Greg,

I've heard that you will be attending the "right coast" event.  Is this really true????????

You know that they grow wine about 20 miles from the track, don't you?  Yeah, in New York state, strange but true.

Pete Bahr

YELODOG

Posted: 03-31-2008 03:19 pm
  PM Quote Reply
13th Post
George

Hey Greg, it would be great to meet you, if you do come.  BTW - Bring a couple Jensen Healeys with you.  You guys have too many on the West Coast.  You need to share, I promise we won't rust them.

george

Posted: 04-01-2008 03:33 pm
  PM Quote Reply
14th Post
Greg Fletcher
Administrator

Yes, my wife and I are really going, Jeff has talked us into it. Sounds like a super event. We are very much looking forward to meeting east coast Jensen folks and seeing this part of New York state. Besides, since there is a wine region nearby, how could we say no?

Posted: 04-02-2008 12:30 pm
  PM Quote Reply
15th Post
Brett Gibson JH5 20497

Just a heads up, Seneca lodge has regular hotel rooms, of which 40 were reserved for the show in June, and then they have cabin's, some cabins are quaint, some are not so quaint, a little rustic in fact, so if you think you might be attending and have not yet booked a room I would suggest you do so soon, or you might be in a quaint rustic cabin.

Never fear though Cabin or room they are all kept up spic and span, and hey if you're really into rustic, the lodge is just a stone throw from the entrance to "Watkins Glen State Park" which has among it's many features "Camping".

Posted: 04-06-2008 04:46 pm
  PM Quote Reply
16th Post
Andrew Akers

Well , This is Andrew Akers in good ole Nashville Tenessee and I am hoping to make the trip to Watkins Glen in my JH if we get a few bits sorted out before my departure date of June 14 . Starting to look at routes for the 900 mile journey as I dont think Im going to hang on the freeway all the way up there . Any way I have made my reservation at the Lodge and will mail in my form Monday . If the car is not finished or still not up to the trip then I will hopefully lose only my registration and will try again another year .

see yall there
andy
chassis number 12754
a proud Jensen Owner since 1996

Posted: 04-20-2008 12:18 am
  PM Quote Reply
17th Post
Frank Schwartz

Andrew:  I am leaving the day before and driving to Louisville to spend the night with Mike Linn.  Then we will caravan the second day to NY.  You are welcome to join us..it is easier if you make the trip to Louisville and then the rest of the next day will not be so tiring.  You can call me at 824-5467 if you like.
Frank Schwartz
P.S. I don't know if son Mark will be going or not.  His JH is ready, but I don't know if he is .  his work keeps him running and I don't know if he can take most of a week off...

Posted: 04-28-2008 06:32 pm
  PM Quote Reply
18th Post
jcrc1

Jensen Nationals -2008 Planning Weekend And Jart Tournament Update

Well, I got back from NY yesterday after spending a nice weekend with Jeff and Laura as they were busy putting the finishing touches on the 2008 Jensen Nationals in Watkins Glen Ny.

Jeff dusted off one of his many official "JARTS" tournament games and quickly set up the playing field. Of course, there is only one way to properly play Jarts and that is with sufficient amounts of one's favorite alcoholic beverage. Jeff played very well while I was able to hold my own throughout the afternoon. Bloody mary's and decent wine do help with one's jart throwing accuarcy.

We have compiled the following tips for those who are new to Jarts and would welcome some sage advice. 

1)  The HIGHER the JART is thrown........ the Less accurate the jart becomes in finding the correct target.

2) It is impossible to FLIP the Jart in midair for fancy shots. The jart is too nose heavy and is designed obviously for deep penetration in the target area.

3) An afternoon of playing JARTS will positively aerate your lawn for the summer.

4) When  a player says....." HEY, WATCH THIS"........ nothing good can happen..... RUN

5) Only official JARTS games are best.... they have replacement parts available online. You can always tell the official game as it says " The Fun Family Missile Game" on the package.

6) Jarts are affected positively and negatively when throwing them with the wind.

Hope this helps and I look forward to seeing everyone again this year!

john

Posted: 06-10-2008 05:02 pm
  PM Quote Reply
19th Post
Brett Gibson JH5 20497

New Info.........

Jensen Friends,

Here’s an update of planned activities for this year’s meeting of the Jensen faithful. 

Thursday:

AM         Caravan to Corning Museum of Glass

We anticipate a 1-2 hour visit at the museum leaving time for lunch and shopping in Corning’s Gaffer District.  We’ve secured a group rate of $9.00 per person for the museum.  The discount requires us to pay as a group so we’ll collect that at registration.

Lunch in Corning:  We’ll provide a partial list of some local eateries that we can recommend, or take the path less travelled and discover a new venue! 

PM         Seneca Lake Wine Tour

Here’s a few wineries to check out:

http://www.clrwine.com

http://www.rednewt.com

http://www.lamoreauxwine.com

Thursday night dinner at a restaurant of your choice, followed by Tech Session with Pete Bahr in the hospitality room and a non-tech session with Laura in the historic  Seneca Lodge Bar.

Friday Morning

Ad hoc tech session

Hike to adjacent Watkins Glen

http://www.gowaterfalling.com/waterfalls/watkins.shtml

11:00                     Caravan to Watkins Glen International Racetrack for “Laps and Lunch”  We secured the discounted price of $30 per car and $15 per                      passenger ($45 per couple) for the three “quickly paced” laps and lunch at the Glen Suites with views of the track.  They will also allow time for shopping at the WGI gift shop.  WGI asked us to pay as a group so we’ll collect that money at registration

2:00                        The road rally begins from WGI and ends at Seneca Lodge

Friday Evening

Barbecue and Jarts Tournament at the Pavilion in adjacent Watkins Glen State Park For more about Jarts see: http://www.radaronline.com/features/2007/11/sky_dancers.php

Auction/Raffle in Basement room of Seneca Lodge

Saturday

9:00                 Funkhana in Watkins Glen State Park Parking lot.

1:00                Caravan to car show at Lafayette Park in the Village of Watkins Glen

6:00               Caravan to banquet in the Glen Suites at Watkins Glen International

Sunday Morning

Planning Meeting

We’re very excited about this year’s event; and look forward to seeing each of you at the Glen!

Wishing you all uneventful Jensening….

Jeff and Laura

Current time is 05:52 pm  
> Jensen Healey & Jensen GT Tech > Miscellaneous > Jensen Inter-Nationals East 2008 Top

UltraBB 1.172 Copyright © 2007-2011 Data 1 Systems