Moderated by: Greg Fletcher
New Topic Reply Printer Friendly
SU 305 Fuel Pump Rebuild  Rating:  Rating
AuthorPost
 Posted: 01-11-2008 05:15 am
  PM Quote Reply
1st Post
mdutch

Granted I've got a lot on my plate, and when I realized my fuel system had turned to maple syrup over one hot summer, I s-canned the whole thing and started stripping out the leaky tank, sticky fuel pump, etc.  Tossed around ideas of buying a rebuild, and found 
SU FUEL PUMP RESTORATION
1913 South Marine Drive
Bremerton WA 98312
"ddubois at sinclair dot net"

Nice guy, with a great layout who seems to live and breathe these things.

Today I got mine back, converted to solid state, and looking all pretty.

Here's a few before and after shots:
http://audiowizardry.com/fuelpump.html

Anybody know where I can get an image (or repro label) of the old SU "blue" sticker warning "RTFM"?  ;) that went around the fuel pump?

Regards,
--Mark

FYI, Tip o' the hat to David Harrell of Dallas who got his '73 Frame-off rebuild back from the dip & prime shop this week.  Pix look great Dave, share a link!  I owe you a beer!

Back To Top PM Quote Reply  

Posted: 01-13-2008 04:48 am
  PM Quote Reply
2nd Post
mdutch

Photos of before and after at http://jhppg.com/gallery/SU-305-Fuel-Pump-Rebuild

Still looking for artwork or decent picture of the blue "RTFM" sticker.  Anybody know of a source?  I'm gonna photoshop one if I can't find anything, but would like some good source material if anyone can help me out.

Thanks,
--Mark

Last edited on 01-13-2008 04:50 am by mdutch

Posted: 01-29-2008 05:07 pm
  PM Quote Reply
3rd Post
Greg Fletcher
Administrator

Dave is a great guy. Unfortunately, in my experience which involves a number of his units over several years, the failure rate is (again this is only my experience) not acceptable. Could be a part problem that has nothing to do with him, I don't know. Failures typically occur in the 2-4 years after the rebuild. I only sell the brand new SU fuel pumps now. Those seem to have better success rate, but nothing is perfect.

Posted: 01-29-2008 05:55 pm
  PM Quote Reply
4th Post
mdutch

That goes hand-in-hand with my plan to "T" off and install a hidden backup pump (that I may just use as the primary anyway).  I'm sort of an odd-duck, no qualms about upgrading the pump to solid state, but at the same time, more interested in restoring the "original" part the car came with.

I would not, as a general rule, recommend trying to build a JH into a high performance racing machine or even "reliable roadster" that depends on rebuilt British electrically powered anything!  The only thing worse than the JH oil-retention record are the myriad factory birth-defects from Lucas and SU!  :)

Current time is 03:04 pm  
> Jensen Healey & Jensen GT Tech > Fuel Stuff > SU 305 Fuel Pump Rebuild Top

UltraBB 1.172 Copyright © 2007-2011 Data 1 Systems