View single post by Dan (Florida)
 Posted: 11-04-2010 01:04 pm
PM Quote Reply Full Topic
Dan (Florida)

I just finished three days of pulling a very oily engine from 19444 in order to replace the rope rear main seal. I tried everything I could think of to not pull the engine out but to no avail.  To date the back patio / car/ engine / dog / myself have been pressure washed four times ,but everything points toward  an eventual repair/reinstall after it quits raining.    My question is this. 

Why is the oil pan divided laterally  with passages on both ends.  The rear compartment is the larger one, but the front compartment contains the pump pickup. It would seem that the only time you could have maximum supply of oil to the pickup is during straight ahead braking  and minimum supply during acceleration.  Every action except braking deprives the pickup of oil.  Is there a reason for this layout? My thoughts are pointing to the old "brick in the toilet tank" concept in the back compartment to displace more oil toward  the front.   Any thoughts on this? 

It would seem that a narrow/deep sump  would be a more efficient  collector and be easier to work on.