View single post by cavanbound
 Posted: 09-04-2010 02:26 am
PM Quote Reply Full Topic
cavanbound

Guys-

I just purchased 18082, imported into Minnesota from Missouri.  The car ran very well, but I embarked on the timing belt change, among other maintenance items.  After replacing the tensioner pulley with the integrated '75+ Lotus part (as I understand it, this was retro-fitted to my '74, so i stayed with it), I had everything reassembled - no fire.

After about 20 turns, I got a pretty significant backfire, and I'm concluding that I've messed up the timing.  I suspect that while I was careful with the engine at TDC to keep the cam sprockets aligned, I probably let the distro/oil pump jack shaft sprocket rotate a bit. 

I understand the fine-tuning that comes with rotating the distributor, and I have a timing light (have never used it), but that comes after engine's at least firing. 

Can anyone describe how I should be aligning the timing mark on that jackshaft sprocket (distro/oil pump)?  I clearly see a mark, but don't have any reference to how it should align with the engine at TDC.  I suspect when I get that aligned, I'll have fire again and can then tune.

While I'm posting, can anyone point me to a reputable (non-pirated) source for a digital copy of the Jensen Healey manual?  I see the printed copy on the JHPS site, but was hoping for a CD copy - the only ones I see on Ebay appear to be offshore pirates.

Any help is appreciated.

Last edited on 09-04-2010 02:27 am by cavanbound