View single post by JodyKerr
 Posted: 05-27-2010 03:09 pm
PM Quote Reply Full Topic
JodyKerr

So I like to look at these sorts of things periodically. It also suprises me when I realize how long I've owned some of these cars. :) I bought my first Jensen Healey in 2004. Back then I paid a whopping $2500.00 for a low-end daily driver (and I probably paid too much. :)

At that point in time a Restored/Nicely sorted stock JH would sell in the 7-8K range, and a nicely upgraded JH (2.2 liter upgrade, suspension, air scoop, etc) could sell for as much as 12K. I remember thinking that was fairly impressive for the car. Comparably, at the same time, I could have purchased an MGB of a TR6 for a similar price (with the TR6 being a hair more on the expensive side).

Fast forward 6 years. Those MGBs and TR6s are now in the 20-23K range (more for concours). Finding restoration candidates is like finding hens teeth. What used to be something one tripped over is now a gem of a find. (To the point where I won't even turn my nose up at a rubber bumper MG anymore. :).

What's more interesting, though, is that the Jensen Healey prices have actually kept pace with the MGs and Triumphs. I checked the NADA Guides site (it's where I go for just about any car price check) and they list the 1974 Jensen Healey with a value of 17K (more for the 5speed, AC and factory HT). Now I watch a lot of car values in an attempt to figure out what's going to be the next Chevy Belair/Austin Healey 3000/etc. As I've been watching for the past 6-ish years I've seen the 60's car prices spike and then remain constant. At a less highly visible level I've watched the 70's cars, and now the 80's ones progressively rise in value.

As a side note, I'm now officially pissed. The kinda tired Porsche 944 that I sold for 2K a couple years back has had it's high retail value double since I sold it. :) Well, looks like I missed on that one. :)

I think one of the major issues/items in the Jensen Healey world is the number of full restorations. I can count on my fingers (and would be pressed to use all of them) the number of Jensen Healey restorations in the past 5 years. Alternatively I know of over 20 cars in the Austin Healey, MGB and TR6 categories respectively. And, in going to car shows I've only ever seen 3 JH's (none of them complete restorations). Interestingly enough, even as "drivers" or "rolling restorations" those few JHs have had a crows around them the entire time they've been on display.

Will the Jensen Healey ever command six figure price tags like the Austin Healey? I doubt it. It simply never truly penetrated the public gestalt. But that being said, oddballs sometimes flourish. Look at the prices in recent years for Kaiser Darrins or Amphicars. The first a car very few people even knew about, the second one of those wacky failures. I remember a time when you couldn't get someone to buy an Amphicar, now they sell for 80K at auction. :)

As was said earlier. I'm happy to drive my JH when it lets me. At the same time I look at the Austin Healey 3000 I have sitting in the garage as the "pay off the mortgage" car. If I had both cars in a fully restored state in my garage the AH would go to fancy shows, the JH would get driven, and by that I mean driven hard. ;).

I mean heck, if people are suddenly learning to appreciate Triumph's "Wedge" why wouldn't they love the Jensen Healey..... if they started seeing them.