View single post by Greg_M
 Posted: 01-11-2010 11:31 pm
PM Quote Reply Full Topic
Greg_M

francisg wrote: Greg,

A few questions for you:

1. Do the the Volvo 4 piston calipers allow for vented rotors and if so what is the max thickness?

2. Where you able to use the stock wheels or if not would stock wheels fit?

3. When using the stock spindle will i need a spacer in order to use the stock wheels?

4. Where would i find longer wheel studs for the stock hub?

Note  the Brembo web page has a full rotor cross ref based on dimensions. Thanks for all the info.

Francis G

1. Do the the Volvo 4 piston calipers allow for vented rotors and if so what is the max thickness?

The Volvo Calipers were originally used with the stock JH rotors. When I went to vented rotors I machined spacers to add additional width to the calipers.  I used 4130 steel and had to machine hydraulic passages with "O" Ring seats.

2. Where you able to use the stock wheels or if not would stock wheels fit?

Stock wheels will fit, tho now I use 14" wheels to clear the Lotus rear calipers.

3. When using the stock spindle will i need a spacer in order to use the stock wheels?
Not required.

4. Where would i find longer wheel studs for the stock hub?
Not required.

This would not be a conversion I would recommend unless you had access to a machine shop and understood the requirements necessary to modify the calipers.  I had access to a race track I could test on, and I spent many hours playing with different setups until I came up with one that worked for me.  These are overkill for the street, I needed something that would haul my butt down from close to 150mph to about 45mph in as short a distance as possible without fading, lap after lap.  Worked great for 30min. races, but really did the job for those 6 and 12 hour endurance races.

The calipers I used are probably hard to get now, as this design was done around 1980, and the rear Lotus Elan calipers are now very expensive, if you can find them at all.

Best of luck,

Greg Moore