View single post by jdenglish
 Posted: 12-04-2009 01:01 am
PM Quote Reply Full Topic
jdenglish

"Today, a date that will live in infamy"  Well not quite that bad but it has been as big a surprise.  Plug and Play.....NOT!
 To verify that the "Conversion Components NZ" bell housing lined up to within .004 laterally and vertically I had the the face of the Toyota W58 transmission digitized and converted to an Autocad drawing.  Next I took the .dwg drawings to a water jet company to have a transmission faceplate made out of 3/4" 6061T6 aluminum.  Then off to Bob Wirth Race Engines in Fremont, Ca for the alignment. He fabricated a crankshaft extension  that extended through the bell housing and took measurments.  As it turned out, the bell housing was .016 off of center diagonally.  He aligned  the bell housing, machined an Oilite bronze pilot bearing in lieu of the needle bearing as provided by "Conversion Components NZ", provided a delrin sleeve to slip over the Toyota clutch alignment tool and handed it over to me.  Bob's comments was that it was about average for aftermarket bell housings.  Caveat Emptor!
Numbers speak for themselves.
Digital Image $130.00
Transmission faceplate $250.00
Alignment at Bob's shop (20 Hrs labor) but only $675.00
Value of not having to replace the flywheel  pilot shaft bearing or internal transmission pilot shaft bearing or worse,..........priceless.