View single post by Dan (Florida)
 Posted: 10-08-2009 01:49 pm
PM Quote Reply Full Topic
Dan (Florida)

As an easy project to gain a little more power and easy starts I just replaced the old Allison coil (probably around 20-25,000 volts) to a Jacobs ultra coil that is good for  around 60,000 volts. The Crane ignition and MSD together didnt produce  enough power to improve matters but this coil sure does! 

It cost about $83.00 from Jegs in Ohio, and was about a 45 minute install.  One of the "Hot ignition" Gurus recommended  this type of coil in an online article as  a good investment for a street car/truck.  Apparantly crank trigger ignitions are good if you are consistantly running above 9000 rpm and might be a little expensive for a normal street engine, although I would like to have 100,000 volts on hand to extend plug life.

The only drawback is that it burns off everything in the combustion chamber and has a tendacy to smoke a lot more when hot, but that is probably valve guides.  It also tends to fire down the tailpipe  with a huge bang right when you don't want it to.

It starts easier, has more power and the weber carb flat spot is much less with it.I recommend it as a good easy project.

Dan