View single post by Dan (Florida)
 Posted: 07-27-2009 08:54 pm
PM Quote Reply Full Topic
Dan (Florida)

You might check to see if the bushing on the lower end of the steering shaft hasn't slipped out of the column. It's right behind the engine where the steering column comes out of the firewall. If it has you need to remove the column and steering shaft  and repair the lower steering shaft so it won't slip oit of the upper steering shaft. Jensen Healey has a collapsible column and a telescopic steering shaft. The shaft is held together by a nylon button on one side of the shaft that sort of holds pressure on the other shaft.  Once it wears out the shafts slide apart and there is nothing to hold the lower shaft from sliding downward and locking up the upper steering joint. I fixed mine by taking the shaft out of the car and drilling through both shafts at once and putting in a cotter pin to hold both shafts together to the proper length. Otherwise the shafts will telescope downward and the bushing will come out of the column and lock up the joint.

While you are in there check that plastic bushing on the end of the steering column tube,  Mine was worn out and was causing about a quarter inch of steering wheel play. shake the lower end of the shaft and if it wobbles, get a new bushing either at Delta Motorsports or have one made  at a local machine shop. It will steer much better.  

You will probably have to remove the lower  joint from the steering box to get it all back together but it is possible.  A definite four beer job.  I hope it is a simpler job than that , but it remains in the future for all of us.

Dan