View single post by marvinm
 Posted: 05-25-2009 04:12 am
PM Quote Reply Full Topic
marvinm

Getting closer, but still not there.  Engine idles fairly well, although don't have a tach, but it's in the 1000-1250 range (by ear and feel).  Able to drive it to store and back, but no power to speak of and it sounds like a lawnmower when attempting to accelerate.

Compression: 145, 145, 149, 130   A little concerned about #4, but that shouldn't cause the problem I'm seeing.

Timing: Set in ballpark and advances when increase throttle.  QUESTION: What is the scale on the 4 timing marks? 5^? 10^? I have a non-vacuum dizzy.  No backfires (or forward-fires), so I don't think I could be 180^ off.  Spark plugs are in 1-3-4-2 order.

Carbs: Tuned close to each other via "hiss" method.  I'm certain one or both are off on the fuel/air mixture.  Still trying to understand the Queen's English as written in my handy Hayne's manual for Z-S carbs to determine how to adjust.  Could this cause problem I'm seeing?  Do see carbon on #3 and #4, but #1 and #2 seem fine.

Coil:  Car will fire, but not sustain with the resistor in-line.  Will run with resistor by-passed.  Resistor does seem to show a 3 ohm resistance.  Coil seems to show a resistance or 1 or slightly more ohm.  Is this normal? I hate to start buying things that aren't broken.  It's got the yellow Accel Super Stock (or something like that).

Ignition: Haven't determined method to verify Crane XR700.  Cap and rotor are worn, but likely not enough to cause what I'm seeing.  Will try to source locally tomorrow, but doubt they're the cause, unless I'm missing something obvious.

Any thoughts and/or guidance is appreciated.

MarvinM - 10927