View single post by JodyKerr
 Posted: 05-22-2009 06:46 am
PM Quote Reply Full Topic
JodyKerr

Ok, before I go too far, I want to point out that Big Amps != Good sound. I see way too many cars around here with more power than is necessary and it sounds like crap.

Speaker placement and adequate power drive to said speakers is far more important than overall output. What type of speaker placement are you planning? Obviously, the stock mounts are pretty small, so you can't put much / do much with them. My assumption is that you're building a big box onto the parcel shelf.

Now, back to the actual question. For things to run reliably with a suitably "amped" car you'll have to upgrade the alternator, and I also recommend a high quality battery (e.g. optima). The original car doesn't really eat that many amps when running, there's not enough electrical components in there to need that much. Also keep in mind that these alternators are 30 years old. You'll need to calculate out the entire draw of the system, including the needs of the original car electrics, to determine the capacity alternator. At that point, it's a matter of finding the right alternator for the job.

Jody