View single post by Jensenman
 Posted: 05-20-2009 01:12 pm
PM Quote Reply Full Topic
Jensenman

Yes, the drive dog on the back of the oil pump is spring loaded. I guess that keeps it from rattling! If you loosen all the bolts on the timing cover, you should be able to pull it far enough forward to see the timing marks on the cam gears, you might need a small flashlight and an inspection mirror.

The dizzy clamp is a PITA on both J-H's and MGB's. I learned a trick on my MGBs which I transferred to the J-H: with the distributor out of the car, mount the clamp to it and then tighten the clamp bolt. Here's the trick: you tighten it enough so that it takes firm pressure to turn the clamp on the dizzy. Check the nut for the clamp; if it can move a bit you might want to use a nylon lock nut to keep it from loosening further by itself. Now if you have to adjust the timing, you can do it without trying to get to the clamp bolt. If you have to remove the dizzy, all you have to do is take the nut off the stud and slide it out, much simpler! The dizzy drive dog is offset so it will only go in one way.

If you are swapping to a Pertronix, you'll need to 'phase' the pickup properly. There was a whole thread devoted to this recently. http://www.jensenhealey.com/forums/view_topic.php?id=1259&forum_id=5

Last edited on 05-20-2009 07:36 pm by Jensenman