View single post by marvinm
 Posted: 05-20-2009 03:42 am
PM Quote Reply Full Topic
marvinm

Well, I got the distributor back in and after various attempts, got it to sputter for a few seconds per ignition turn.  This is at least where I was when I probably caused the distributor to come out.

Related question...Is there a way to check timing without removing belt guard, and is there a way to remove belt guard without pulling fan and possibly radiator?  After looking at it, I fully understand why I've seen so many pictures of J-H engines without the belt shroud.

After adjusting the distributor (very carefully to keep from popping out again) about 15-25 degrees, it does sputter, which tells me I have fire, air, and fuel, although I'm still at a loss for getting it running.

Has anyone replaced a Crane unit with a Pertronix unit?  Is it as easy as pulling the Crane from the distributor and dropping in the Pertronix?  On my Spitfire, I simply pulled the points/condensor and used the same screws to attach the Pertronix.  Was incredibly impressed.

To diverge even further from original topic...I have a non-vacuum distributor, but noticed once car quit starting that the vacuum line from intake side of rear Z-S carb had nothing attached/plugging it.  I'm certain the car did not previously run without this plugged...the question is...what was plugging it and where did it go?  Am I correct in assuming that the car would not run anything close to normal without this vacuum line on back of carb plugged?

Thanks Again...MarvinM - 10927