View single post by Dakota123
 Posted: 05-17-2009 03:05 pm
PM Quote Reply Full Topic
Dakota123

subwoofer wrote:
Now for todays question: Any tricks for getting the old bushing out of the upper rear mount point (the one on the bell housing)? I was not planning on detaching the drive shaft for this job, but the old bushings seem rather stuck.

I'm sure you solved this by now, but to get these out (with the rear end left in the vehicle, properly supported) I used the technique described by Art:  Used a sawzall to cut off the shell and rubber protruding to the rear, nearly flush with the mounting tab attached to the differential housing.  I then drilled out the rubber and cut the shell in a couple of places 90^ apart or so.  Crushed the shell and popped the mess out.  At least in my case, they came out easily.

I used this technique with the trailing arm bushings and lateral link large bushings as well.  Gave me a bit of a headache from all of the banging away to crush the shells, but really not that bad of a job.  (I love it when my wife says things like "Are you sure that's the way you're supposed to do that?")

Mike