View single post by subwoofer
 Posted: 05-13-2009 06:23 pm
PM Quote Reply Full Topic
subwoofer

I am considering my options as I may be embarking on a dangerous journey after I concluded that my head gasket has called it quits.

Option 1: Get an ex-Esprit 907 shipped in from England. Freight and VAT (which is added on top of the sum total of purchase + freight) is as much as the engine itself (£500 + Dell'Orto carbs). I will have to take the seller's assurance that it is sound at face value, as I will have no possibility of checking beforehand.

Option 2: New head gasket, helicoil #4 plug, new rotor/annulus for the oil pump and while I'm at it a new water pump. This will not take care of the rear crank oil seal leak, nor the general state of the rest of the engine but can be done with the engine in place (hopefully), and I will still be stuck with a set of worn Strombergs, and the engine does use a bit of oil.

I need a few pointers here, I would really like to have the car on the road this summer, but is the cheaper option 2 worthwhile? What is the probability that I will wind up with a complete rebuild - the engine has 110k miles on it, if not 210k. Hard to tell, but I know the front suspension has been rebuilt at least once, since the lower wishbones were on the wrong side of the car.

--
Joachim