View single post by Mark Rosenbaum
 Posted: 06-07-2005 03:06 pm
PM Quote Reply Full Topic
Mark Rosenbaum

The Lucas numbers I have are:
Starter assembly complete: 3M100, 25713, S3116.
Solenoid : TOB159, 76876, 60933098.
Bendix gear unit: 54249032.

I don't have complete faith in some of these numbers but at least they're a start.

You may wish to see if cleaning and maintenance will keep things working for a while.  In many cases, this can add years to the life of a part.  For electrical items, I've had good luck with brake cleaner and electrical contact cleaner.  Aggressive solvents, which often will damage insulating materials, should be avoided. 

Removing the solenoid from the starter is simple and obvious.  Partial disassembly of the starter motor itself, for cleaning of the case and armature, is fairly easy, but brush replacement is best left to an expert with the proper tools (which includes a spot welder).

Cleaning the solenoid contacts is readily done with the aid of an abrasive or 'ink' eraser, or, if the contacts are severely cratered, emery cloth.  Follow up by applying a very thin film of dielectric grease to the contact surfaces. 

If you remove the motor armature, clean its contact area in the same way.  Note that the brushes make contact with the end of the armature, not the sides.  DO NOT use dielectric grease here, as it will contaminate the brushes and shorten their lifespan. 

The solenoid interior and plunger should be cleaned but not lubricated.  The Bendix mechanism should be cleaned, the gears and collar lightly oiled, and the shaft very lightly greased -- a high-temp wheel bearing grease containing MoS2 works very well here.

Eventually, of course, you may need to replace the starter or some of its parts.  Note that a replacement need not use new parts.  With Lucas components in particular, it is often possible to mix-and-match to create one good unit from several defective cores.

Attachment: starter motor 4.jpg (Downloaded 237 times)