View single post by sjensen24
 Posted: 04-13-2009 01:36 pm
PM Quote Reply Full Topic
sjensen24

I spent some time this weekend working on the car.  The symptoms again are low power at high rpm and an overheated exhaust.  This is what I have found so far.

1.                  The install instructions for the Crane ignition say that all ballast resistors must be removed from the circuit.  There is what looks like a ceramic resistor still wired.  When I pull one of the wires, the car dies.  Are there any risks to bypassing this resistor with a jumper wire?

2.                  The timing does not increase with engine speed.  It is set at about 12 degrees BTDC at 1000 rpm.  It does not change when I rev the engine.

3.                  The vacuum advance is still on the distributor, but it is not connected to the manifold and the line was not blocked off, either at the manifold or the distributor.

Is it necessary to have the vacuum connected or can I just block these ports?  Is it possible that the resistor is responsible for the failure to advance or is it likely that there is some inference inside the distributor that prevents it from advancing?  I believe that cap to be original.

This is a little frustrating, but I am learning a lot.