View single post by dwalls1
 Posted: 04-04-2009 08:59 pm
PM Quote Reply Full Topic
dwalls1

OK, got the cams timed with the 110 marks just right. It took a little fiddling as it's difficult to get the crank sprocket to slip a cog, but everything came together very well. I also changed the thermostat while I was at it. I installed a Cummins 180 F thermostat. Very expensive, but arguably the very best. Set the timing at 12 degrees BTDC static and it fired right off. Getting it to idle was a little tricky and I did fool with the timing at idle with the vacuum gauge pulling only 6 or 7 inches. During a shakedown run it seemed to get more RPM, but it won't idle long under 1000 RPM. At 1000 RPM it will idle indefinately with no over heating. Should I go back to 12 degrees BTDC and forget the fancy sucky gauge? Is it time to check valve clearances? It's really running good and I'm sure it's getting maximum RPM, but my tachometer is reading low. At an indicated 3000 RPM the speedometer is showing 65 MPH. I'm inclined to believe the speedometer as I have had opportunities to confirm it's accuracy. Would appreciate all thoughts and comments.