View single post by Jensenman
 Posted: 02-03-2009 12:19 pm
PM Quote Reply Full Topic
Jensenman

White or yellowish stuff on the dipstick indicates condensation. That's usually a result of poor crankcase ventilation which the 907 is known for. About the only way to correct that is to rework the crankcase breather system to add a PCV (Positive Crankcase Ventilation) valve instead of the 'passive' OE system. One day I'll do that to mine and see how it works out. Or, just make sure the oil gets changed on a regular basis. If it's got a brown 'chocolate milk' look, that's not a good sign; that's emulsified oil/coolant/water mixed and is generally a sign of a leaky head gasket or other inter.

A car that starts good cold but gas fouls plugs (dry fluffy black deposits, oil fouling is shiny black) and has hard hot restarts generally is getting excessive fuel.  The easiest way to check: on the hot restart, if it doesn't start immediately push the throttle about halfway (do NOT pump it!) and hold it at that point while starting. If it starts much easier, it pretty much has to be excessive fuel. I'd start by making sure the Dellorto 'chokes' are all the way closed. A too-high 'wet fuel level' (float level too high) can cause this as well.