View single post by Mark Rosenbaum
 Posted: 06-03-2005 01:52 pm
PM Quote Reply Full Topic
Mark Rosenbaum

Wayne,
I used a tool called a chassis punch to make the holes in the filter lids.  This is just a large hole punch.  I happen to have several of these in various sizes, left over from the days of vacuum tube electronics.  They get used about once a decade nowadays.

The yellow 'gaskets' are actually the adapter plates that fit between the carbs and intake manifold.  They're painted with Rustoleum oil-base white primer and bright yellow paint.  The only reason for doing that was esthetics.  A stock engine is just one huge mass of dull aluminum, and a few discreet spots of paint will break this up into discrete sections that better please the eye.

The filter is in addition to the one in the trunk  I've never seen any rust in it, but I don't want to find out the hard way that something has happened to the inside of a fuel line or hose.  The hose connecting the filter to the metal fuel line is covered by a length of corrugated wiring wrapper as protection against abrasion.  That stuff is useful for a lot of non-wiring applications.

One last point, now that I think of it: the hose I used for the breather setup is 3/8" fuel hose.  The choice was driven almost entirely by cost -- while a larger hose size would probably work slightly better, the fittings would have been a lot more expensive.