View single post by mdutch
 Posted: 01-14-2009 08:55 pm
PM Quote Reply Full Topic
mdutch

dwalls1 wrote:
Why areĀ old wires that are freshly stripped and appear shiny and clean so difficult to solder even with flux core?

Well I've not been around much lately, but wanted to get an answer back, as I've worked in audio and wiring for years. NEVER use "flux core" solder. You want "Radio" solder that's ROSIN CORE. Acid core solder used in metalwork and plumbing will corrode the fitting.

Second, when using old wiring, get a spray can of flux-remover or a small brush with lacquer thinner (and a rag to catch the drips) to clean the wires -- the wires probably have an oily residue from being around gasoline and oil.

Third, use a proper soldering gun and just enough heat to melt the solder. A pencil-type, not one of those giant guns. You can get a pencil-type soldering iron for under $30 at an electronics store

Fourth, you don't HAVE to use a crimp connection, in-line, though I am in favor of using them for terminations. Make sure you have a good mechanical connection. (Use a Western Union Splice) for inline splices, then wrap with shrinkwrap or tape)

Last edited on 01-14-2009 09:02 pm by mdutch