View single post by Triplesn8s
 Posted: 12-29-2008 05:22 pm
PM Quote Reply Full Topic
Triplesn8s

Sort of true but making a lot of assumptions.   The bottom line is none of your options are a true close ratio transmission and represent some sort of performance trade off.  T-5's are also power sappers due to the large helix angle on the gears which is where many of the problems with T5's come from, excessive side thrust due to the large gear helix angle.  They don't shift that great either, adequate is the best description.  The best thing that can be said about the T5 is they are cheap. 

I decided to sell the bellhousing too as if I get another JH it must have the 5speed Getrag.  "Thanks for asking, my JH has a Lotus motor and a Ford transmission." ??
The Getrag is a true racing style synchro close ration gearbox that matches up with the motor and rear end for maximum performance.  Anything else is a bastardization and a performance compromise.  Aren't sports cars all about not compromising?

I have heard from multiple sellers of these transmissions they fetch $600+ and my reserve is lower than that.