View single post by Judson Manning
 Posted: 12-29-2008 03:41 pm
PM Quote Reply Full Topic
Judson Manning

Completely disassembled my Getrag with Bellhousing and one-piece drive-shaft fetched about $350 on ebay.  It sold to a JH owner wanting to rebuild it.  My local BMW guy who regularly rebuilds these things told me a lot of the bearings, etc. would be special order from Germany and the cost would be astronomical.

I too went the route of getting an Excel bellhousing mated to a W-58 transmission (look elsewhere on the board for that strory), but my car has the 3.73 axle.  A customer of mine has the Conversion Components kit with the W-55 and I've had the pleasure of evaluating both combinations.  In 2.0 trim the W-55 with 3.73 is a good match with a very usable 5th gear (first is a wee bit short for my taste).  Conversely, the taller first and fairly tall 0.78 overdrive on the W-58 almost demands a 2.2 to be street friendly even with the 3.73 RE.

The T-5 conversion is extremely attractive as it has the aftermarket support of the entirity of the Camaro and Mustang community.  The input shaft is available in a .590" configuartion which mates perfectly to the JH pilot bearing.  The only problem is of course the bell-housing and getting the exact ratios you want.

A suitable bell-housing can be made for any tansmission by cutting down the JH 4sp housing and welding on a flat piece of stock.  Lining-up the input-shaft to the crank is the real problem.  I remember reading the acceptable tollerance is something ridiculous like .001" so this project is NOT  for the timid. 

A friend of mine recently bought a mill so I was thinking about investigating how much interest there is out there for custom (i.e. T-5) bell-housings.  Once all the initial set-up work was done it should be fairly easy to crank out a dozen or so.  Any interest out there???