View single post by subwoofer
 Posted: 11-30-2008 06:57 pm
PM Quote Reply Full Topic
subwoofer

Judson Manning wrote:
My first suggestion would be to flush the engine by running a lighter weight oil (I use 5W20) through the system at idle and draining repeatedly.  Clean out all that old stuff and give the rings a chance to re-seat.  Refill with 20W50 when you think it's safe.

Bumping an old thread here, Judson: The process of diluting the old oil by repeatedly draining seems inefficient. There should be around 7 liters of oil in the system, and a little more than 4 comes out at each draining. Thus it will take 3 drainings to get 90% of the old oil out, likewise, it will take 3 applications of 50 weight oil before you reach 90% of it in the system. This gets expensive rather quickly...

The shop manual does not mention the oil cooler at all, at least in the engine chapter, so what is the proper procedure for disconnection, reconnection and draining? That would speed up the process immensely, and also make sure no water, coolant or other pollutant has hidden itself in there, just to poke fun at me later.

Also, where do you stand on the subject of engine cleaning oil additives? If they are considered harmless, I will try one application just in case it will help reduce the blow by. If the mayo in the oil was just a coincidence, it buys me a bit of time.

--
Joachim

Last edited on 11-30-2008 06:58 pm by subwoofer