View single post by Judson Manning
 Posted: 11-29-2008 05:47 pm
PM Quote Reply Full Topic
Judson Manning

An Ex-Esprit or Ex-Elite 907 'should' be equipped with 9.5:1 c/r pistons and the 'E' cam (~260^ duration vs the JH 'C' cam ~272^).  The combination would have more drivability and low-end torque than a Federal or European JH 907.  We think of the 107 cam (~252^) as being introduced with the 2.2 engines and VERY necessary for turbo variants. 

Sounds like indeed the rings are shot and/or the liners are out-of-round leading to the burning oil and excessive blow-by.  The mayo on the dip-stick could either mean a cracked liner or a blown head-gasket.....or....just some simple contamination in the sump.

The design of the 907 w/ external oil cooling lines and pooling oil in the cam covers, etc.,  makes is extremely hard to flush the system clean when changing the oil.  Elsewhere on the board I've posted a process of repeatively changing the oil to give the rings a fighting chance.  I've torn down WAY too many engines with varnish-stuck rings and sludge filling every nook and cranny.  Some engines can be salvageable after a good internal purging, and it couldn't hurt to try.

Mike has the right idea about the 10-doweling process.  I would only add that if you add any dowels to hold the bottom-end in (re)alignment, by definition you'd want to re-surface each half a few thous and then line-hone the bore so it is indeed straight.

Last edited on 11-29-2008 05:58 pm by Judson Manning