View single post by Mark Rosenbaum
 Posted: 06-02-2005 06:19 pm
PM Quote Reply Full Topic
Mark Rosenbaum

These mounts aren't intended to be torqued down all that much.  I'd think that 5 ft-lb would be adequate, which is basically what you can get if you have strong hands.  You might be able to get the nut a bit tighter with a stubby wrench or a socket on a flex handle, or you could try holding the nut and turning the mount with a strap wrench -- whatever works for you is fine.  For my car, I'm planning on re-checking things after a few months, but won't worry unless the nut has somehow worked loose.

I put the jack stands where I think they'll do the job and be out of the way.  For the front end this is generally beneath the inner pivot points of the lower suspension arms, though I've occasionally used the flat center part of the crossmember.  I've used the frame rails a couple of times, but I'm not really comfortable with doing that.  I don't use the sills at all -- a PO did, and consequently there are a number of bends in the sheet metal lip down there.  At the rear, I favor the rearward pivot points of the lower arms, or under the axle tubes just inboard of the brakes or suspension pickup points, depending on what I'm doing.