View single post by Jensen Healey
 Posted: 11-24-2008 01:15 am
PM Quote Reply Full Topic
Jensen Healey

The KYB shocks from Delta are a high pressure monotube shock similar in design to the Bilsteins. They are a definite improvement over the stock Girling shocks. The materials and valving are certainly different from the Bilstein design but KYB is not a "crap" product. When the shock heats up the gas expands causing a firmer ride. The Gas Adjust is their midline product and carries a lifetime warranty.

Delta sells the KYB KG5552 from the '79-'85 Celica for the rear and a modified KG5501 from the '82 Corvette (rear shock) for the front. They are not specifically valved for the JH as far as I know. I use Koni rear shocks from the 1985 Celica. They are a bit firm on the soft setting but I have no issues with keeping the rear in control. The gas pushes the rear end higher which corrects the droopy butt feeling while driving the JH.

I have no doubt the stock Girling shocks were never originally intended for the JH. It would be prudent to purchase a shock specifically valved for the JH like the Bilsteins sold in the Club Store.

Kurt

Last edited on 11-24-2008 02:22 am by Jensen Healey