View single post by subwoofer
 Posted: 11-16-2008 06:57 am
PM Quote Reply Full Topic
subwoofer

When you came back after 6 years abroad, you brought the car in as a "household possesion" (flyttegods), where special rules apply.

At the moment, I think there is more than 30 JHs in Norway, and if you need any help, please contact Jensenklubben (http://www.jensencars.org)

If I had any problems? Depends how you look at it. I was able to register it as a "vehicle of historic value" without any more ado, but with that follows a note in the registration papers that the car is not for everyday use, and that it should remain all original (hence my requirement for stealth mods). I am trying to unearth the required documentation to get rid of the note, but that is turning into a bit of a nightmare. Although any fool can see that the brakes and steering column is identical for the US and european models, and that the California emissions standards where stricter than anything in Europe at the time, a cross reference is not enough for the bureaucrats.

If the car is E-marked (I think E12, E13 an E15 are the only ones requires in the early to mid 70s), i.e. was not built for the North American market, you shouldn't have any problems registering it at all.

Import will cost you 25% VAT + 5000 NOK, insurance will cost less than 1000 NOK per year ("kasko" - full coverage) provided it is not your primary car (usage restrictions apply).

As far as Lotus engines go, there is a company in Drammen that knows the engines, and they did not flinch when I asked if they can do a 10-dowel job, so for major engine work, help can be found. Other than that - do it yourself.

HTH!
--
Joachim