View single post by Judson Manning
 Posted: 06-01-2005 06:38 pm
PM Quote Reply Full Topic
Judson Manning

Ron,

The Vauxhall LDS is part of a completely different axle purportedly code named '052'.  As you're aware, changing the entire axle wouldn't be IT legal.  The factory Huffaker cars should have them, and I've seen a few JH5 cars with what could be that housing, but can't confirm.

Over the years, numerous times suppliers and independent people have tried to get Quaiff to build something for our axle.  Every time it's fallen through.  At roughly $2k each that's a Production/GT3 type of budget item.  However, that problem has already been solved much more reliably with the use of the Toyota axle & factory LSD.

A problem I've noticed in trying to adapt an Auburn Gear, etc. type of LSD, is the size of our tiny ring-gear.  Auburn's smallest is ~7-5/8" vs. what looks like ~6" for our diff.  Someone please confirm...

Recently I found http://www.phantomgrip.com and spoke with them about their technology.  They will do 1-offs for ~$350, and less expensive in volume; I thought about talking w/ Greg about it after I shipped a diff for them to look at and did some evaluation....perhaps you can be our guinne pig?

I don't know if the phantomgrip is a permanent solution, but it appears to be a quick and dirty solution, and much more appealing than having a locked axle snap.  Just ask Joe Huffaker about that experience!

Judson