View single post by Joel
 Posted: 06-25-2008 02:32 am
PM Quote Reply Full Topic
Joel

Ok, I took a look at my timing belt and it's looking worn.  I know it was a bit tight but didn't want to mess w/ it.  Besides, I had a 'professional' take care of it for me...

I have a couple of problems so I figure I might as well do some 'while I'm there jobs'. 

The pulleys on the cams are looking worn.  Where the belt travels (about 1/4" from the front of the pulley) it's worn down probably 1/32-1/16".  The belt is looking a bit tattered so it's gotta go.

I figure I might as well replace the pulleys.  And if I'm replacing the cam pulleys - I might as well do the crank pulley too and get the round tooth belt.

The other issue is that I know the oil pump pulley isn't running 100% true.  I don't remember why - I didn't change it - remember I paid the expert.  I'll call him back up and ask if he remembers.  It's been at least a year so I bet he doesn't. 

Anything I should do 'while I'm there'?  Is it worth the effort to replace the tensioner?  Just the parts - pulleys, belt, etc are about 700 bucks so I figure a little more couldn't hurt too much. 

The car has just over 100k on it.  The story was the top end was redone before i bought it - but you never know what was really done.  I drive the bejeezus out of this car and don't want anything to break at triple digit speeds.....