View single post by Harkes
 Posted: 06-02-2008 09:13 am
PM Quote Reply Full Topic
Harkes

Hi Dan,

i have had a similar thing when fitting my supra gearbox and hooking up my clutch cable and custom made clutch cable bracket.

Please make sure the clutchcable is fixed and attached at the front of your engine  (underneath at the sump) so prohibit the cable from moving when drepressing the clutch.

Determining the issue: when fully depressing the clutch; then what is the TO bearing's position? Good: TO pushes in the fingers of pressure plate- should disengage clutch. Not good: TO just touching the fingers - not disengaging clutch.  Behind the fork you can adjust the clutch cable operation. I'm sure you have already adjusted this, but where are the nuts located now? I'm assuming that it is adjusted in the direction towards the cable where you can't go further? That and the fact that there is hardly any resistance on the pedal, makes me believe there might be an issue with both your mounts (1 clutch return spring, 2 cable mount)

Start with  2) cable mount

The fact that it doesn't disengage the clutch when clutch pedal is fully depressed means (assuming you tried adjusting the nuts at the end of the clutch cable) the TO is not pushing in the fingers of the presure plate, which means the fork must be pulled further toward the front of the car.  Most likely then that your custom made clutch cable bracket is too close to the fork.  To fix: unhook the cable return spring, unhook the cable from its mount, put the nut of the adjuster in the middle of the bolt, have someone depress the clutch pedal, check to see if TO bearing pushes in fingers of pressure plate and disengages clutch.  Most likely you will find out that your cable bracket must be positioned further to the front of your car by one 1 inch or less.

I had to fix a piece of steel 2 cm thick and that did the trick! (i can take/send you a picture of my bracket if you want)

If it now disengages the clutch and there is still hardly any resistance on the cable:

Then check 1) clutch return spring

You said you had to modify the mount for the clutch return spring. It could be it is located too much forward because of which the spring has too much play? This would explain why there is hardly any resistance. To increase resistance on the cable you need to position it further back or replace the spring by a stiffer/shorter one. (quite tricky to find a good replacement spring with the correct length and tension!). If you use the original JH spring and bracket then you could shorten the bracket.

Good luck and i'm very much looking forward to see more pictures of your fantastic project.

Erik